ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking for set extension

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denis MarkovMotion Tracking for set extension
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 8:47:59 pm

I've been trying to do motion-tracking with AE for about 2 weeks now. I have viewed a LOT of tutorials about the subject, including Mocha tutorials, but still - it seems that any method i try to use with motion tracking, fails.

to be a little more specific: I've been trying to motion track panning shots, and pull a set extension on it using matte-painting with Photoshop. My problem is that i always end up getting the still-painting(that was imported to AE from PS) jittery, move a little bit, rotate a little etc. - basically anything but stay pinned to the spot i want it to be.

In this link you can see my basic type of tries and the result i always get.(I tried to use both AE built-in motion tracking and Mocha. Mocha does a better job but still the result is looking like in the link)

What i did in the link above is one of the methods i read about:

I scrolled to the last frame and added X-Spline layer and drew a 4-point rectangle on the surface -> then hit 'track backwards' and stop when the layer seemed to be getting out of the screen. I continued that way(adding layers etc.) until the end of the tracking(until the first frame).

Then i took each layer and copied the Transform data and pasted it to a corresponding null object at the exact same frame. Each layer had its own null. So the first null corresponds to the LAST third of the pan-shot and so on. Then i parented null3 to null2 and null2 to null1. Lastly i imported the layer i made in PS and then parented it to null3.
As you can see this method did not work for me.

In Mocha, I also tried to create a X-Spline layer and change the "link to track" option to none, and then link the other layers to that first layer - still it ends up looking like that!

Please help because this is driving me insane!
What am i doing wrong??

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Motion Tracking for set extension
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 1:52:49 am

Some tracks just don't work without a lot of hand keyframing. I know you don't want to hear it, but it's the sad truth when you track. You might want to save the current tracks you've got, and try a new track with different points. Sometimes it's just a change of point that does the solve. But in my experience - there's always a certain amount of hand tracking to get it perfect. You don't say which version of AE you have - if you have AE CS6, you should try the new tracker - it might just hit it first try. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved