ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Newton and the illusion of a cube

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott GreenNewton and the illusion of a cube
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 1:00:18 pm

I have an effect in mind that I want to recreate but I'm not sure how I can achieve it.

I want to create a couple of dice that drop, bounce off some type and land on the floor. I'm thinking of using Newton, but I haven't got AE CS6, just CS5, so my question is, will a 2D dice look good enough as a flat image do you think or can I create the illusion of it turning naturally somehow?

What would you suggest I do to get the best result?

Creative Multimedia Design Manchester | S┬ętt Green | Splurj

Return to posts index

Andrey SibiryakovRe: Newton and the illusion of a cube
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 2:23:16 pm

Hi Scott.

Have you thought about extruding you dice after being animated by Newton? with 3dextruder of aescripts, or some plugins...

Or, maybe, you can use Newton 2d physics, bake it and add
and 3d rotation.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Newton and the illusion of a cube
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 5:23:54 pm

Newton is a very cool plugin for getting the PHYSICS right. However, it works almost exclusively in 2D.

I think you'd be far more satisfied with the result if you used a real 3D application... if you're well-acquainted with 3D apps, that is.

You could model the dice complete with the little pits for the spots (resulting in spot-on specular behavior), round the edges (just like real dice), and still have the benefit of using AE's superior compositing strengths.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Newton and the illusion of a cube
by on Sep 18, 2012 at 2:33:19 am

Dave is right - a dedicated 3D app is going to get you there a lot faster and better. While I've seen some of the Newton demos in which there appears to be some 3D going on, it's basically a parlor trick. You never see the camera moving around, because the 3D you're seeing is really 2D/3D.

Newton is amazing for what it does, putting a physics engine in After Effects, and there's a major update due in a month or so; I can't wait to see what's getting added. But for dice, go with 3D.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved