ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Music for long training video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reino RoinaMusic for long training video
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 8:17:45 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a total newbie when it comes to making "commercial" productions. My background is in short films and sketches, which I consider my forte to be honest.

It just so happens though, that I've been dragged into editing and finishing a long (50 minute) training DVD for a friend of mine. They didn't really supply me with anything except the footage and a dubbing in another language. I've been scouring the internet for background music to use in this production, but most of the stuff I've found was rather short in duration and quite intrusive in style for the viewer. (listening to verbal instructions AND music)

I wouldn't like to add a bunch of five minute tracks, ten in total, to this video, since the style of music would be changing "constantly". Then again, a loop for 50 minutes will surely drive the viewers insane. I wanted to dub the video with the original audio quiet in the background, so the second version would have two speech tracks plus music. I feel that's a bit much.

What's the best way to approach this dilemma? Should I consider just leaving it without music altogether?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Music for long training video
by on Aug 29, 2012 at 1:04:42 pm

I do quite a bit of training video work, and my general style (not that it's right or wrong - just a stylistic choice) is to use music for the open and intro, then ride the levels out for the actual teaching content.

If there are segments to the video, I will bring the music back in for the intro to each segment, then use the music once again for the outro and any credits there might be. My feeling is that with teaching materials, the music detracts from the content, unless of course it's a high energy training video, teaching maybe skateboard technique, skiing, or something like that. The content is the star in a training video.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved