ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

rescue severe OUT OF FOCUS SD videos !!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Agrescue severe OUT OF FOCUS SD videos !!
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 9:16:33 pm

Does anybody knows any good filter or 3rd party plugin or any trick that helps to rescue severe OUT OF FOCUS SD videos, unfortunately regular sharp-unsharp filters are not enough for this purposes and they leave bad digital artifacts, I can NOT record again (wedding)
any advice is really appreciated, I'm desperated !!
Thanks for your time (sample attached)

Return to posts index

Jim ArcoRe: rescue severe OUT OF FOCUS SD videos !!
by on Aug 4, 2012 at 1:12:20 pm

As far as I can tell, there is no tool (yet) to truly fix out-of-focus images.

There are several plug-ins available claiming to fix the problem, but they mostly provide a combination of several sharpening techniques. What they do, they do very well and with some out-of-focus images, they can work wonders. Nik and Topaz come to mind, but I haven't used the trials in while, so it may be other vendors. Pretty sure they are Photoshop plugs (only), so you'd have to pass your video through PS.

I took your image and tweaked the shadow-highlights, then some unsharp mask with a low amount (20%) and a high radius (7 pix) to get a little improvement.

One problem you will have with many video sources (particularly SD) is the large amount of edge-enhancement added by most video cameras. Any significant amount of sharpening exaggerates the edge-enhancement, making the image look "cartoon-y."

If you find something to make big changes in out-of-focus materials, I'd love to hear about it.

Jim
ColorBurst Video

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2012 at 11:29:25 am

I seem to be having trouble uploading the edited image. Here is another attempt.

Return to posts index

Nick AgRe: rescue severe OUT OF FOCUS SD videos !!
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:11:14 am

Hi Jim, did you copy to your post the embed code or link that it shows next to the upload images panel ? I guess its the only way to add images here
Thanks for your valuable effort by the way

Return to posts index

by on Aug 6, 2012 at 11:22:30 am

Ooopss! (One more time.)

Return to posts index

Andrey SibiryakovRe: rescue severe OUT OF FOCUS SD videos !!
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 9:57:10 am

Hi Rig.

Some days ago I've run across a program called Perfect resize pro, that uses the method of enlargement different from others.
I was impressed by results.

You can export to sequence,
enlarge every frame x2-3 times,
than import back to SD.

That will work.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: rescue severe OUT OF FOCUS SD videos !!
by on Sep 11, 2012 at 12:01:01 pm

first off, you need to interpret fields on. There's scanlines in there.

secondly, I wrote a quick template that uses find edges as an alpha matte for unsharp so it doesn't go crazy. then I added a deartifactor in there because the chroma is artifacty. Is that a word? As for SD to HD, bicubic resizing is the best. You get it from photoshop extended.

ae sharpen 5.5 aep
http://www.mediafire.com/?itsho533td3843c

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2012 at 7:25:08 pm

Thank you Chris, I really need your guide, I'm so excited to try your method, but I'm not exactly an expert, when you mean "interpret fields on" do I do that on "interprate footage" then "Fields and Pulldown" (separate fields ?) or where exactly ?

unfortunately the template you made was done in AE CS5.5 and I only have the CS4 but I guess I will try to get the CS6 trial, and finally do you mean that I should resize the video on photoshop extended but why exactly ? I mean, increase the size and then reduce it again to SD while editing ? SD is perfect for the customer but as long as the out of focus is improved, this out of focus is severe, if you can take a look to my first post there is a frame sample in SD
Thanks for your valuable help Chris, I hope you can guide me a little bit, I'm really desperated !!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2012 at 8:09:03 pm

Ups, seems like I won't be able to open your ae template, I got 32bit windows and CS5 and UP require 64bit windows, I just have one computer and I can hardly update to 64 bit at this point

I also found this method (jpg attached), but seems to be too advanced for me, I can not understand some steps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]