ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Easily Write On Brush Strokes Sequentially?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donovan KeithEasily Write On Brush Strokes Sequentially?
by on Jul 20, 2012 at 6:00:21 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to create an effect that builds up a drawing one stroke at a time. Basically, I'm trying to recreate something similar to all of those whiteboard lectures you see on youtube without the use of a whiteboard or video camera. Ideally I would do all of my drawing in after effects using the brush tools so that I have the power to remove strokes after the fact if I like.

The "Write On" duration mode in the AE brush tool gives me an effect very similar to what I want. However, in order to use it, I need to draw a single stroke, advance the time slider to the end of the stroke, and then draw the next stroke. Is there a way to do this without having to advance my time slider each stroke? Doing so really interrupts the flow of drawing.
Thanks,

Donovan Keith

Return to posts index

Donovan KeithRe: Easily Write On Brush Strokes Sequentially?
by on Jul 20, 2012 at 6:17:33 pm

Okay so the following keyboard shortcuts are helpful but don't fully resolve the issue:

uu => Expands all animated tracks so that keyframes are visible.
k => Advances the current time indicator to the position of the last visible keyframe.

So the procedure now looks like:
Paint a stroke.
Press uu.
Press k.
Repeat

Again, my goal would be to simply draw the image in one go and then have after effects rebuild it after the fact. Not unlike painting it in photoshop with a screen capture program running.

I guess another option would be some sort of plugin that always advances the time slider to the position of the last keyframe anywhere in the layer would be helpful; but I don't know if AE supports that sort of plugin.
Thanks,

Donovan

Return to posts index

Andrey SibiryakovRe: Easily Write On Brush Strokes Sequentially?
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 6:40:18 am

Hi Donovan.

You can press "u" instead of "uu" if it would help you.

I think you'd better ask in expressions forum for some expression.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2012 at 7:01:58 am

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for the tip! With so many AE forums it was a daunting task picking just one.
Cheers,

Donovan

Return to posts index

Ian PadghamRe: Easily Write On Brush Strokes Sequentially?
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 10:33:28 pm

Donovan,

Did you ever find a satisfactory solution to what you were trying to do? I'm also experimenting with making a speed painting type image (like you see in Photoshop screen casts) but with the write on tool. I'd love to know if you came up with anything or found a good expression.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 26, 2012 at 10:44:13 pm

Hi Ian,

Unfortunately, I did not. I'd recommend just doing a screen recording in a painting app and re-timing the footage in AE or an editing program.

-Donovan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]