ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

animating on/writing on shapes/text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Hodgsonanimating on/writing on shapes/text
by on Jul 10, 2012 at 7:42:42 pm

So, I've worked as a motion designer for awhile... and I haven't found the most efficient way to animate and/or morp shapes and masks into new objects. A lot of times this translates to animating on letters or text in interesting ways. I thought I'd just get some other designer's thoughts/tricks in creating organic animations. This is one of the greatest animations I've seen that encapsulates what I'm talking about.

I know this is a great artist who understands kinetic animation, rhythm, etc... I'm just wondering about others' thoughts on the technical preparation and execution of this and other iconic animations...

For example, would you use the live text as a luma matte on solids and animate masks on the solids? Divide individual letters in Photoshop and animate photoshop layers? Distort the actual text layers? etc...

I know this is a big question and can depend on the animation... let's just speak specifically about the animation above so as to keep the conversation contained. Thoughts? Tricks you've learned a long the way that make these type of animations easier?

Brad Hodgson

Return to posts index

Andrey SibiryakovRe: animating on/writing on shapes/text
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 1:43:54 pm

Hi Brad.
Awesome video...

I think, this is not morph.
Seems to me, letters was divided on simple shapes, which was animated
with a help of masks and alpha mattes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved