ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera Movement (Rig?) Deep Focus

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerald HapemanCamera Movement (Rig?) Deep Focus
by on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:48:19 am

Say I have a landscape project. A foreground of say flowers. Within, are layers in deep 3d space such as more flowers, hills, bees, birds, trees - to a static picture (layer) much deeper of say a sky and mountain... just to act as the background. I want in my composition to cinematically sweep from the foreground to that far and away background, sweeping through the layers of the birds, trees, etc to the end mountain background. It seems impossible unless the background and farthest objects are immense in size so they fit within the composition. Wanted to create this move in HD, but that seems impossible, but I'll take NTSC if need be... (Note. These are Photoshopped images as well as JPG images. Not vector created with AE or Illust.)

The obvious answer for this appears to be to just have gargantuan sized pictures to move towards so they fit within the composition... but is there a better way... such as a specialized camera rig so I can sweep in and around the scene? I imagine to build a 'shoebox' type of scene... as a diorama sort of thing? Any cool techniques that will help?!

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Camera Movement (Rig?) Deep Focus
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:20:55 pm

Why does it feel like the objects have to be super big? Is it because their quality is bad?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Gerald HapemanRe: Camera Movement (Rig?) Deep Focus
by on Jun 27, 2012 at 1:52:10 am

Thanks for the reply - Background picture is just that... a large jpg-photomanipulation of a sky-mountain scene that I want as the far background. Very high res... but... I have it in 3d space... but, it doesn't fit the comp size the further I set it back. And of course... I would have to scale it quite large which blurs-pixilates the image even though it is a high res as it is so far back in the composition that I need it to fit.

I have a camera set to travel from the foreground and motion through hills, terrain, etc to the mountain picture in the deep background. So if the camera sees everything, as in deep focus, from foreground all the way to a far and away background, with elements in between as mentioned... the camera sees that the picture doesn't fit because I have it pulled all the way to the back.

Picture a cinematic sweep of the camera - that wants to motion travel throughout this landscape scene just as you would see in the movies...

Perhaps I could just animate the scale as the camera gets closer to it so it continually fits - but that's what I was trying to avoid. Sorry if I'm not making sense.

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Camera Movement (Rig?) Deep Focus
by on Jun 27, 2012 at 2:50:45 pm

AE does an incredible job of figuring out the quality of the image no matter how far back you take it. I just brought in a picture and added a camera. Moved the camera's Z position to -124262.3649 and increased the scale of the image to fit the scene and I can't see any lose of quality. You should be able to move the mountain and sky as far back as you want and increase the scale of the image with no quality loss. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]