ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a floor reflection on the z-plane??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris LongoCreating a floor reflection on the z-plane??
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:30:10 am

Can anyone guide me in the right direction here?

This is literally my 1st time doing any kind of green screen shooting/editing. Everything went smooth, but now I'm stuck. I have a full body shot of the subject, cleanly keyed. How can I get a floor reflection with the correct perspective on the z-plane.

I've attached a screenshot of what I have. It looks like he's standing on his tippy toes. How do I make this look realistic?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Return to posts index

graziano pozzoliRe: Creating a floor reflection on the z-plane??
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 9:52:08 pm

Hi Chris I found this tutorial by Eran Stern on Creative Cow very useful; may be it could help you.
Adobe After Effects "Invisible Cape"
In this video tutorial, Creative Cow contributing editor Eran Stern with the help of his brother Yuval will show you a simple method to create the famous invisible look inspired from the movie The Predator.
Tutorial, Video Tutorial, Eran Stern

Graziano

Return to posts index

Chris LongoRe: Creating a floor reflection on the z-plane??
by on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:37:08 pm

Thanks Graziano. I definitely found that helpful. Still couldn't do exactly what I needed, but a closer!

Return to posts index

Syed Sharif AbdulRe: Creating a floor reflection on the z-plane??
by on Jun 7, 2012 at 2:11:08 am

I hope this will help u.
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/reflection_plug-in/

Regards,
AESheriff
http://aftereffectbasic.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

by on Jun 7, 2012 at 3:47:37 am

Syed,

Thanks for chiming in. Yes I have tried VC Reflection. Maybe I'm just a dummy, but I still can't get it right. Because the subject's feet go in 2 directions AND back on the z-plane, I can't get the reflection right no matter how I rotate or skew it. Like I said, I'm new to AE and green screen so I'm sure I'm just missing something. For now, I've resorted to making duplicate layers, masking out one foot on each, and applying the reflection to each. It's kind of ridiculous, but it works :-/

Return to posts index

Syed Sharif AbdulRe: Creating a floor reflection on the z-plane??
by on Jun 7, 2012 at 5:55:12 am

I'm not sure if this can work. What if u render yr image with alpha.
i. Bring it in C4D or 3D max.
ii. Create a black floor with yr images texture map on flat plane board and position it on top of the floor.
iii. Put higher reflection for the floor so that it can pickup the images from the plane board.
iv. Render only the floor (with reflection), bring it in AE and apply screen mode.
v. So now u have real reflection then.. :) and u can distort it slightly to align the reflection.

Sound crazy, but it worth to try..

Regards,
AESheriff
http://aftereffectbasic.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Creating a floor reflection on the z-plane??
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:07:05 pm

Take a look at this

I did.
Notice that their feet line up in the reflection even though they shouldn't. I used the puppet tool to stretch the feet in the area where they do not connect. Depending on the amount of movement in your green screen subject this can be a time consuming task but it will look like a reflection really should. Hope this made sense and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2012 at 6:29:47 pm

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Return to posts index

Chris WarrenRe: Creating a floor reflection on the z-plane??
by on Jul 12, 2012 at 9:36:25 pm

When you shoot try shooting at a lower angle, but essentially the problem is because the reflection and the subject are at 2 different angles. Stephens example is probably the best way to simulate the reflection angle.

ChrisW
http://www.azprovideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]