ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

instanced comp driven by expression

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas Elsiginstanced comp driven by expression
by on May 31, 2012 at 10:37:25 pm

Hello,
I'm working on a weather forecast test and I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to create a comp (pictoComp) with all my pictos animations layered. And then put pictoComp in each cityComp and load dynamicaly the good weather picto by an expression. Without duplicating my pictoComp x times by the number of city comps.
It would be like an instanced pictoComp that would display a different layer for each cityComp.
is it possible to do it by expressions ?
thanks a lot for your tips

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: instanced comp driven by expression
by on Jun 1, 2012 at 5:31:44 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm having a difficult time understanding what you're actually doing. It sounds as if you want to know if you can substitute one variation of a nested comp for another variation using an expression.

You may have better luck nesting all the variations in the main comp, then animating the selected variation's opacity from 100% to 0% with an expression.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2012 at 7:52:48 pm

I'm also concerned about your use of the term, "dynamic". It sounds as if you want things to change in your comps based on an input independent of After Effects, and this can't be done. AE is for post production and not live production.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Nicolas ElsigRe: instanced comp driven by expression
by on Jun 2, 2012 at 7:02:59 am

Thank you Dave,

for "Dynamic" I was thinking I could have just one comp A with different images in it . Put it in different comps B1, B2, B3, .. and what I wanted is to have A react differently when used in B1, B2, B3... etc...

But I ended in using images directly in B1, B2, B3, ... and playing with an expression to display the good image with an external data file.

for sure "Dynamic" was the wrong term .... as everyday I will render the project for the current day forecast with the data provided by the meteorologist

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2012 at 3:26:07 pm

[Nicolas Elsig] "...every day I will render the project for the current day forecast with the data provided by the meteorologist"

Since I work at a TV station, I know every major vendor of forecasting & display software for TV (e.g. Weather Central in Madison, WI) allows this kind of work to virtually be automated within the software itself. This isn't limited to broadcast: these guys sell to cable & telco, too.

Is your situation different? Knowing what's available in the market, I have to admit it sounds strange, and not very efficient.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Nicolas ElsigRe: instanced comp driven by expression
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:02:15 pm

yes I know live weather forecast solutions are available, but it's for a small local TV, and those solutions cost thousands and thousands dollars. So plan B... we are working on something with a predefined animation rendered from maya and overlayed weather data is rendered in after effects via an external file.
Actually they work with still images they receive everyday and place it in Vegas with a voice over.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2012 at 6:43:08 pm

[Nicolas Elsig] "it's for a small local TV, and those solutions cost thousands and thousands dollars. So plan B... "

Yeah, I hear you: work with the tools at hand. You might want to create your own set of animated looping graphics elements, and just plug 'em into the comp as necessary for the forecast. On a 7-day, for example, you might have a sunny, partly cloudy, rain, thunderstorms, a partly cloudy and a couple more sunnys. Start with a seven base comps: Sun-Sat, Mon-Sun, Tue-Mon, etc. Put in solids in the spots where the looping animations go, use the replace footage command to replace solids with the appropriate looping element, and then it's a matter of putting in Hi & Low temps.

Apparently the Powers That Be aren't aware that a real WX graphics system frees up meteorologists to do forecasts for other stations (for money), do WX Talks at local schools (for promotional value), instantly present a consistent look & consistent elements in live severe WX coverage (tornado warning!)... all in addition to WX segments in a few newscasts a day.

Not to mention allowing the graphics guy to work on things that CAN'T be automated: daily news graphics, artwork for spots & promos, yadda yadda yadda.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]