ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating depth with 2D objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly LawerAnimating depth with 2D objects
by on May 7, 2012 at 8:20:01 am

Hi,

I'm building a storyboard for our latest animation and I'd like to have the camera move from the head of the table (where our character is sitting) to the foot of the table to reveal the family sitting either side (4 of them, 2 each side) eating.

Now, the best way I can think is to tell the illustrator to draw the table from the angle I'll be placing the camera and then just zoom the camera on the character and slowly pull out.

I have a feeling this isn't going to work tho, as without true 3D, how do I place the family members either side making it look 3D with a 2D table?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animating depth with 2D objects
by on May 7, 2012 at 7:48:15 pm

it sounds like these characters are also 3D, and the table is the only 2D element of the bunch. If so, why no save yourself the grief and do this in a 3D application?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: Animating depth with 2D objects
by on May 9, 2012 at 4:40:05 pm

Hi,

No characters will be 2D too. Just want to make look 3D by animating the camera move from the character (close up face).

Don't know how to use any 3D software and don't own any.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2012 at 6:06:20 pm

I think I have it visualized. You can make an oversized table (to preserve resolution) in Photoship, make it a 3D layer, rotate it 90 degrees on the x axis and place everybody around it in 3D space.

I suspect the people on either side of the table will be in profile; they have to be, pretty much.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2012 at 6:12:37 pm

Great. So you think it's doable and I'll look good?

Thinking of asking the illustrator to build the whole table and characters as one image and then provide a file with all the elements so I can edit the individual elements as I see fit - but the angle will remain in perspective as its been designed as one image with that particular camera move in mind.

Then just zoom into head of table character and zoom out.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2012 at 7:39:25 pm

Your plan will probably yield a look that could be classified as "highly stylized". If you were after "photorealistic", you've got a problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2012 at 7:41:45 pm

I'm happy with 'highly stylised' :)

Just checking I'm going about it in the best way.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]