ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Growing vines

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly LawerGrowing vines
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:05:27 am

We're producing some animations for a garden company. The animation is to show the various stages of growing vines up a a fence.

Now, the easiest way is to have each stage illustrated and then animate them on to vo, maybe it would be cool to have the stages going into the distance, slightly darker and out of focus until that stage is talked about.

But another, more complex way, could be to animate vines/plants growing up the fence. Now, I could have the vines as separate illustrations and mask out each vine over time to give the appearance of growing, but I am pretty sure they have bulbs or something at the end and this would be even more tricky with flowers.

I could cheat and animate the bulbs/flowers on when it stops growing, by anchoring to the end of the vine and then going from 0 to 100 size, but maybe there is a better way?

I've seen growing vines somewhere before and I'm hoping they did it in AE and it didn't take a week.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Growing vines
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:58:19 pm

There's a tutorial here on the COW about using AE to do what you want. If you use "growing" in the search term, it ought to show up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Growing vines
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:50:32 pm

This is the tutorial Dave is talking about: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hansen_jaysen/growing.php

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: Growing vines
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:14:13 pm

Brilliant. Thank you. Will check out.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:52:36 pm

This is very low quality as I've just pulled a vine and a leaf off google images and had to create a very low res comp, but this is the thing I am trying to create.

It took me about an hour to do this, so if there is a quicker way, let me know! That did include changing the colour of leaf layers to make them look different.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Growing vines
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:43:07 pm

Looking good. One thing I do to cut corners is copy the scale of the leaf growing and then just past the scale keyframes to all of the other leafs to save time.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

by on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:49:41 pm

Cool. Thanks. Yeah probably could do something time saving with an expressions controller too. Only just starting to dive into expressions.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]