ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D chair

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer3D chair
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 10:59:32 am

We're producing a rolling, soundless advert for a chair manufacturer. To make it interesting, I want to animate around the chair, showing off the features.

So this means going under the chair, around the back, up top etc. This cannot be done with a still image.

One possible way, although it feels a bit clunky, would be to hire out a studio with the chair and set-up either a dolly, steadicam or jib and plan out the moves, then move the camera to the various points and animate text on after (with a magnify circle for intricate parts).

Maybe there is a better way tho?

Also, I want to create some green text that appears to transmit a small amount of light - matrix style. Will the glow effect cut it with a slight transparency?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: 3D chair
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:41:31 am

Just thought. Might be cheaper to do a 3D modelling of the chair and animate it.

How does AE cope with 3D modelling files being brought in. Can you pan around them? I though AE isn't true 3D.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: 3D chair
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:06:24 pm

You're right about AE not being "true" 3D, although there are plugins such as Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator, and the long-promised Element 3D from Video Copilot, which, if it ever arrives, should become the king of the hill for bringing 3D OBJ files into AE.

While CS6 shows some powerful abilities with 3D, it appears, from what I've seen, to only extruding paths, which means doing a chair could become your life's work. I think that a combination of a "real" 3D package and After Effects would make your life easier (3DS Max, C4D, Blender - which is free, or Maya).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved