ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Underground dirt 'fly through'

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawson Conner
Underground dirt 'fly through'
on Apr 1, 2012 at 11:50:06 pm

Hello,

I've been hired to create a title sequence by metal detector enthusiast club. I'm trying to create an illusion of the camera viewing underneath the top level of soil (about where you would find objects while metal detecting) from the side. But the "dirt" particles or whatever you want to call them, must be able to move, as there will be things moving around through the dirt. I'm almost positive a particle system would be best to create this effect, just not sure whether it would be better to do it in AE or 3ds max? Or exactly how to go about achieving this look? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :) The look I'm trying to achieve looks somewhat like this:

http://www.crestock.com/image/3403534-Grass-and-soil-layers-isolated-on-whi...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Underground dirt 'fly through'
on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:21:30 pm

I think you are going to love this tutorial by Video Copilot: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/submerged/

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Lawson Conner
on Apr 3, 2012 at 11:06:17 pm

Stephen,

Thanks for your reply :) Unfortunately, that's not quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking for more of a "particle" based dirt. I'm sorry if I was a little unclear in my initial request.

The "dirt" will need to be able to "move" or "shift" as things like titles, or 'treasures' or whatever may be down there move around during the opening sequence. I'm not quite sure how to explain it other than that.

My idea is this: This will be a short title sequence for a show featuring metal detector enthusiasts. The show is basically about them going out, and finding things in the ground with their metal detectors basically. What I wanted to do for the opening title sequence, was have a time line sort of deal, kind of dig in from the left to the right of the screen, digging through the dirt as it crawls across the screen, and displacing the dirt around it as it moves. I'm sorry this is the best I can think of how to describe it. I'd post screen shots, but I've not really started it yet... because I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.... hence me asking for help :) ;) ;) I may be able to whip up a simple pic in photoshop or something if I need to?

Again thanks for the response! :) Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 4, 2012 at 2:07:21 pm

Not sure but maybe this plugin can help: http://idustrialrevolution.com/idrplugins/particlemetrix/index.html

They had a tutorial on how to reveal a logo as if it was barred in sand but I'm not sure where it is.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]