ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Create a Mask on a text layer.. where the text moves, but the mask stays still?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul BooneCreate a Mask on a text layer.. where the text moves, but the mask stays still?
by on May 23, 2014 at 7:43:27 pm

Ok, so I want the text "Purell" to appear like its sliding out, from behind the Purell bottle, and I've created a rectangle mask that I want the text to start behind, and then slide to the right revealing the letters.

Anyways, I want the mask to stay still, and the letters revealed when they slide right. My mask moves with my text.. and I don't know how to get around that.. thanks

Return to posts index

George GoodmanRe: Create a Mask on a text layer.. where the text moves, but the mask stays still?
by on May 23, 2014 at 7:55:07 pm

Don't use a mask, instead use a track matte.

Draw the shape of your track matte with the shape tool. Place the text underneath that shape (both in the layer stack and in the composition). Then in the text tool, select "alpha matte" under trk matte. Now, the text will only appear while it is inside that shape. It will be gone as soon as it leaves the track matte - so just animate the text normally.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

http://www.vimeo.com/georgegoodman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgefranklingoodman

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Create a Mask on a text layer.. where the text moves, but the mask stays still?
by on May 24, 2014 at 3:37:14 pm

Or you can always animate the text the way you want. Then PreComp it and choose Move All Attributes Into The New Composition. This will keep your position change with your layer. Then add a mask to the PreComp which doesn't have any position changes and you are done. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]