ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tricky vfx door shot??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Moyce
Tricky vfx door shot??
on Mar 24, 2012 at 10:18:38 am

Hello peoples! :)
I am in the process of doing the pre-production for a short experimental film i am doing for college. My task that's been given to me by the director is they wish to have a free standing door that leads to another world. I will ofcourse have to insert this other world that the character goes to when he opens the door and goes through it. We have planned to use a greenscreen however the screen is very large and sticks out the sides of the door... I planned to perhaps rotoscope the character out and track the door but i feel there must be a simpler way! If anyone has had experience with a shot like this or has a cool idea i would love to hear them and really appreciate it.
Muchas Gracias!! Kyle ;D

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Tricky vfx door shot??
on Mar 26, 2012 at 5:13:01 pm

[Kyle Moyce] "We have planned to use a greenscreen however the screen is very large and sticks out the sides of the door... "

There's nothing that says you can't simply mask around the door jamb, then key one background inside the door frame while keying a different background outside the door frame. It'll take a few more layers, but it can be done.

Ah, but can it be done EASILY? That's hard to say. We don't know the conditions.

On a locked-down shot with a camera with good color resolution and well-lit for chroma key? It shouldn't bee too bad.

On a hand-held shot or other shot in motion using an HDV camera or a DSLR and available light? Good luck.

You look at lot like Jim Morrison.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kyle Moyce
on Mar 28, 2012 at 5:27:54 am

Thanks Dave for the reply it is very much appreciated! :)

The camera is locked-down and we are shooting on film, using the sunlight and back-up lights for outside lighting of the green screen shots. I will more then likely cut between the two shots however i would like to have to actor at least be seen going through the door.

When you say I could key the background separately from the inside of the door, wont that leave me with my new image sticking out from the edges of the door? I don't think i fully understand.

How i thought id go about it is to have a shot without the screen which i can use to mask off the edges of the screen by overlaying it onto the shot with the screen. I would then be able to mask off the edges of the screen and only have it show behind the door. This would mean though that everything must be exactly the same for both shots which might not be so easy if we are shooting outside..

I also thought about simply planar tracking the door and rotoscoping out the actor as he walks in front of the door to open it? Do you think this will be better?

Thanks again for replying :D

This is the end beautiful freinds!! hehe

Kyle Moyce

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2012 at 5:08:40 pm

Film. Ugh. More trouble than it's worth. A waste of good money. George Lucas & James Cameron don't even use it any more.

You mask around the door jamb to key the new background into the door. Then, using the exact same shot, you mask around the door jamb to key in the old background at the green screen overlap. You rotoscope as little as possible.

How do you ensure you have the proper old background? You shoot a clean plate. Look the term up.

Bear in mind that if you intend to shoot the talent's feet, you'll need a way isolate those feet in the inevitable gap between door jamb and green screen. My choice would be additional green fabric.

Rotoscoping is neither fast, fun, nor easy to do.

You still look like Jim Morrison.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kyle Moyce
on Mar 30, 2012 at 8:00:45 am

Thanks again for getting back to me :)

I am unfortunately at the mercy of other film students and therefore if the "DOP" wants to use film i pretty much have to... Do you feel I will have less quality to work with or its just an unnecessary mission all together? Shall I insist on using digital?

I figured I would have to shoot a clean plate without the green screen to get the background around the door. So I should basically just use two keys one for the inside of the door and one for out? Using my clean plate to fix the edges of the door? I was worried that the clean plate might have slight different movements (plants, actor, etc) then the green screen plate as we are shooting exterior...

I have thought about the green floor and we are compensating for that. Most likely by getting one for the floor.

I don't have any nice photos of me therefore Jim will have to do for now :P

Thanks again

Kyle Moyce

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 30, 2012 at 3:09:41 pm

[Kyle Moyce] " Do you feel I will have less quality to work with or its just an unnecessary mission all together? Shall I insist on using digital?"

That depends on the quality of the film-video transfer. If it goes to DVCam or DV, it's a waste of expensive film: lousy quality. If it goes to a high-quality image sequence -- tga, png, etc -- you're okay.

[Kyle Moyce] " So I should basically just use two keys one for the inside of the door and one for out?"

Yes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]