ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stuck -- need to create a smoke effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Russell
Stuck -- need to create a smoke effect
on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:29:37 pm

Wow, who knew smoke was so hard! This the third day I've made no progress on this animation for a client. Stuck on making smoke. Been watching and reading tutorials. Particle Playgound is impossible to control, and Trapcode Particular... I can't figure out how to make the smoke roughly fill a shape, and also slow down after it exits. Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is the smoke I'm trying to animate: http://i.imgur.com/lOL61.jpg

I'm NOT and AE Wizard, so be tender with me ;) Can somebody point me in a direction? I have so much more to do and can't spend all my time on one (essential) element! I'm sad.

Thank you somebody!

"THE LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA" -

And more...

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
Re: Stuck -- need to create a smoke effect
on Mar 23, 2012 at 10:58:05 pm

Here, this is the carnage that is my smoke animation in its current state:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8486452/smoke_abject_fail.mov

And more...

Return to posts index

Carr Lockwood
on Mar 26, 2012 at 5:21:15 pm

I literay spend 2 weeks trying to create a 4 second smoke trail of you have trap code particular u just half to you around with the settings any that's the easiest way to make it

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:42:35 pm

Yup, what you see here was created with Trapcode Particular. I'm having trouble figure out how to shape the smoke trail -- vary it in size, shape and speed at different places along its path.

And more...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 26, 2012 at 5:24:09 pm

Just an innocent little question:

How do you propose to make a 2D background from Photoshop look like it's moving in perfectly-synchronized 3D perspective with that black machine?

I don't have Particular so someone else will have to address the smoke issue.

I used to enjoy how you mixed it up with Jerry West in all those championship series games.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carr Lockwood
on Mar 26, 2012 at 5:27:20 pm

U could try cc particle world but I don't understand are u trying to animate smoke on a picture or what

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:50:40 pm

@Dave -- oh, the photoshop file is actually separated out and the layers placed in space before the camera. The sky is on the back plane, the cityscape is trapezoidal and "flat" against the "floor" along the z axis. The rig (which is masked at the moment in my examples above, for silly contractual reasons) with smoke all hangs in the middle-foreground. And there will be a portion of another rig on the right side in close foreground. The camera will truck out from that rig, the other elements moving in "Kid Stays in the Picture" fashion.

Right now I've resigned myself to brute force, just slapping different tails against each other to build the shape like clay. It's conceptually ugly process-wise, but visually it is sort of working. Not render friendly, as you can imagine.

P.S. You saw through my short white person costume!!

I'll post my final animation here for kicks when it's all done.

And more...

Return to posts index

Bill Russell
on Jan 5, 2013 at 5:02:57 am

Hi Dave -- a looooooong time ago you asked,

How do you propose to make a 2D background from Photoshop look like it's moving in perfectly-synchronized 3D perspective with that black machine?

Welp, I promised then to share my results, so here, finally, is the finished animation. I think it turned out pretty awesome, and the smoke (though I never figured out how to do it right) works and adds a lot.

Happy New Year and thanks again!!!

And more...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 5, 2013 at 8:22:07 pm

Okay, now I get it. I was thinking all action would be in 3D space, but the cityscape is essentially a background.

Actually, the smoke works well with the look of everything else, I think. Best of luck with the rest of the project.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]