ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D footage look more 2D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dawud Ali3D footage look more 2D
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 2:50:26 am

Hi guys

is there a way to either use an effect, colour grade or techniques to make a 3D footage seem 'flatter' to blend more with 2D elements?

the setup: an info graphic mainly using 2D but as requested i had to use a few 3D elements, eg 3D text (not a problem).

Problem: the 3D element (a box spins and the lid opens where an semi illuminant gold key emerges) seem out of place and clash with the 2D as they play smaller part

additional info:
- the box was model made in C4D maybe there are 2D exprot settings
- it's reflective and i want to keep it's reflective and plastic aesthetics visible while making it 'seem flatter in Ae'

thanks in advace

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: 3D footage look more 2D
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 3:28:32 am

A couple of things to try - I use 3DS Max, so I'm not sure whether C4D has this render setting. There's a choice in the Max renderer called Video, which softens the look of the 3D, making it match better with video elements. This often helps get rid of the sometimes overly "crisp" look of 3D.

It sounds as if you want a more stylized look to the 3D - there may be some shaders in C4D similar to Max's Ink and Paint - they give the 3D element the look of an illustration - you might want to output the full 3D, then a stylized version, and blend the two passes in After Effects.

One other thing to think about is whether our lighting from C4D is matching the light source in your 2D imagery - that can sometimes help the blend. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Dawud AliRe: 3D footage look more 2D
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 11:51:55 pm

Thanks, I'll those a try

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved