ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Seamless effect - how is this organized?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Seamless effect - how is this organized?
on Mar 8, 2012 at 5:35:56 am

I have encountered a stumbling block in my understanding of After Effects, and would appreciate some help.

There is a very nice video for New York Times "All Digital Access" which exemplifies what I'm trying to learn more about, at

I have been trying to learn how the motion graphic artist created a seamless effect, continuing the grid pattern from one scene to the next. You get a sense of "entering a world," of moving FORWARD through scene after scene.

Is there a tutorial somewhere which shows how to do this? When I've tried, I've run into problems. I've had a move in the first couple seconds which was totally altered by adding a keyframe for the next scene.

In general, I have had difficulty with learning how to create the "one-shot" effect, i.e. instead of cutting or dissolving from one AE "shot" to another, moving forward in a seamless universe. As the camera glides forward, past one element, it encounters another.

Thanks for any guidance!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Seamless effect - how is this organized?
on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:24:40 pm

Take a look at these three tutorials:

Animating a Camera 1: Camera Difficulties

Animating a Camera 2: Simple Rig

Animating a Camera 3: Controllers & Point of View

This should get you pointed in a great direction. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:56:07 pm

Thanks Stephen. I will give those a look. btw - what did you think of the NYT video?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 9, 2012 at 4:02:06 pm

I loved the spot!!! It was really cool. I forgot, but I was going to write thanks for sharing the cool spot in my original post.

Our first instinct is to want to animate all of our camera moves with the camera's position and rotation options just like we animate everything else in AE. Learning to use Null Objects is an amazing way to get what you really want the camera to do. You'll have smooth camera moves once you learn that and that is covered in these tutorials. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:17:25 pm

Who ever did that did a ton of work. Basically just 3d camera moves with everything separated out and arranged in 3d layers separated by depth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]