ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keying green screen AVCHD footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brock JoletKeying green screen AVCHD footage
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:39:41 am

Can anyone help me find a solution. I am keying green screen footage shot on an AF-100 and encoded as AVCHD.

I have tried both "BCC Chroma Key" and "Keylight" but I am getting jagged edges around the subjects.

It is my understanding that AVCHD encodes in 4:2:0 and this may be why I am having issues. Does anyone have advice on a solution?

The best thing I could come up with is to us a "matte choker" to smooth the edges, then an edge blur to soften them. However, this means I lose small details like hair.

On top of these issues, the footage was shot 1920x1080 and I need to enlarge the final product to 4096x2304 before rendering.

I'm using Adobe After Effects CS5 on OSX Lion. I also have access to CS5.5 if there are any new features that may help.

Return to posts index

Brock JoletRe: Keying green screen AVCHD footage
by on Feb 16, 2012 at 7:11:44 am

For anyone else encountering this issue, it appears to be a problem with how After Effects interprets footage using interframe compression such as AVCHD. Pulling it into CS5.5 produced better results, but still not optimal.

I converted a sample clip to ProRes 4444 and have received much better results. However, ProRes 4444 results in much higher file sizes, so now I'm pursuing an alternative codec.

Return to posts index

Brandon CranorRe: Keying green screen AVCHD footage
by on May 15, 2012 at 10:13:32 pm

So is the best thing to up convert footage to ProRes4444 do the edit and then down convert it back to something more manageable?

Mac OS X: 10.6.8
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Return to posts index

Brock JoletRe: Keying green screen AVCHD footage
by on May 18, 2012 at 4:25:06 pm

I converted to ProRes 4444, did the effects work, then delivered to the editor. I'm not sure if they continued to work with the 4444 or down converted, but I would imagine they kept the ProRes files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved