ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Volumetric lighting effect through stained glass

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
Volumetric lighting effect through stained glass
on Feb 10, 2012 at 10:11:35 pm

For some interior church footage with stained glass I need to create some volumetric 'rays' streaming through, similar to this effect

Can anyone tell me
a) is this possible in AE?
b) Are there any tutorials that show how to do this WITHOUT purchasing an extra plugin
c) If I need to, what plugin would be best?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
Re: Volumetric lighting effect through stained glass
on Feb 11, 2012 at 12:39:31 pm

There are several plug-ins that can generate that sort of lighting effect. If I remember correctly, Tinderbox TRays, Trapcode Shine, Boris Continuum, and probably Sapphire have volumetric lighting effects.

If you want to do something like this without purchasing an extra plugin, you could try duplicating the layer, and on the lower layer apply glow, then a zoom blur, (or motion blur moving toward the camera) to achieve somewhat limited effect.

Or a search for 'volumetric lighting' will turn up lots of tutorials here on the COW and elsewhere with varying levels of complexity.


Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Volumetric lighting effect through stained glass
on Feb 14, 2012 at 10:52:19 pm

CC Light Burst and CC Light Rays (I may be wrong on these names, just type CC Light into the search box on your effects panel and you'll find them) should both get you something like what you want.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved