ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Question about masking in After Effects..

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach MarsdenQuestion about masking in After Effects..
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 1:29:53 pm

I'm very new to After Effects & I have a question that may be incredibly simple to avid users. Please bear with me as I'm not sure of the technical terms. I usually specialize in straightforward video editing, particularly movies/tv however I've acquired a client invested in music videos.
They have a particular request for an effect they wish to be included. Please see this link, as it explains better than I could in words:

-- Pause at 7 seconds and you will see the effect I am referring to.

The client wishes to have certain footage superimposed onto various surfaces of film, ie. walls, buildings, couches. However, they want the entire video footage adapted to the shape of each surface; not just a particular section or in a rectangular/square mask. This is where I am running into a problem. Being a novice, I can't seem to find the correct way to shape the video footage into the masks. Is this even possible in After Effects, or am I just going about it totally incorrectly?

I apologize if I am not explaining my question very well. Hopefully the video link helps.

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Question about masking in After Effects..
by on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:46:04 pm

In After Effects layers themselves are always flat. However, you can add effects to warp the video inside the layer.

Add an effect to the layer such as MESH WARP, which is under EFFECTS > DISTORT.

In the reference clip you presented above, there is also tracking involved, and you may want to try Mocha AE for this task since it works well for placing 2D video into a 3D space, as well as creating tracking masks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved