ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

A way to smooth out slow DSLR pans...temporal smoothing?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachaloA way to smooth out slow DSLR pans...temporal smoothing?
by on Jan 29, 2012 at 6:17:10 pm

I have some vertical pans that slightly 'stutter' in their movement. I was wondering if any AE experts cold suggest a way I might be able to reduce, if not eliminate this stuttering motion.

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: A way to smooth out slow DSLR pans...temporal smoothing?
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:08:51 pm

[jim bachalo] "I have some vertical pans..."

In cinematographer (and director and editor and script girl and everybody else on the set) lingo, these are referred to as "tilts".

[jim bachalo] "...slightly 'stutter' in their movement..."

A "stutter" implies the tilt somehow stopped, then instantly jumped ahead. Was the motion in the tilts not constant and smooth?

Whether the shots can be saved will probably be determined by what ELSE is happening in the shots: people moving, regular flashing, video in a monitor, something swaying in the wind, etc. Without this knowledge, it's impossible to give you "take it to the bank"-type advice.

Frame rate also influences smoothness of motion. The slower ones -- 24p, for example -- aren't conducive to smooth motion. You may have to tilt at a different speed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: A way to smooth out slow DSLR tilts...temporal smoothing?
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:54:24 pm

In case Dave's excellent advice isn't helping you, please provide an example clip so we can see what the issue is. The only thing he didn't cover might be if your tilts happened too quickly and you had that rolling shutter thing everyone worries about. In which case, there are plugins to correct for it or you can reshoot with a proper tilt speed.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved