ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rapid text transition question [example video attached]

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria PetrescuRapid text transition question [example video attached]
by on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:10:00 am

Hello everyone!

I've always found great suggestions and tutorials in CreativeCOW, and I am really grateful to you guys.

So, my question is: I'm trying to create a text transition effect like the one you can see in this video at second 10, when the "Revolution" text disappears.

It's almost like it becomes bigger and wider, but I can't really understand what is going on since it's so fast.

Anyone got any idea how this was done in AE?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rapid text transition question [example video attached]
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 7:26:21 pm

Yes, that DOES happen quickly, doesn't it? Since this is part of a program open and intended to be used several times, I think the animated "O" was built in a 3D application, moved and rotated into place with the rest of the text.

If you don't need the text character to look like it's extruded as a 3D object, you can do this easily using two AE text layers. Put the single character in one text layer. The remaining characters are in the other layer, with space left for the character. Simply animate the single character's scale and position. I wouldn't use any more than 1/3 - 1/4 second for the animation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

chip willisRe: Rapid text transition question [example video attached]
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 3:58:08 am

If you are talking about the Revolution text, just as it disappears, not the floating letter that joins just before, it looks deceptively simple. I am a newbie but looks like the word zooms off the screen to the left, in a frame or two, with motion blur. It might be resized larger as well to make visibility better.

This is easy to set up. Just get to the exit point, set a keyframe, and then move your text offscreen or where-ever over the course of a frame or twon and re keyframe it. Turn on motion blur and then adjust the keyframes to get the look you like.

Return to posts index

Maria PetrescuRe: Rapid text transition question [example video attached]
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 4:54:13 pm

Hello Chip!

Yes, that was the part that I was talking about, the part where it goes away.

I'll try your suggestions and see how it works, thanks a lot! (I really don't know why I didn't think about the motion blur, doh...)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved