ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need Assistance on splitting a person into two people

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ally ShoreNeed Assistance on splitting a person into two people
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 7:45:42 am

I'm working on a project where I have a man in a striped shirt. He needs to split into two identical men but each in a solid color shirt the color of one of the stripes. I've tried a few things including using an RGB split and some warps, but nothing is giving me quite the look I want. Has anyone done anything like this and have an idea? I shot four plates, 1) man in stripe shirt, 2) Man in blue shirt, 3) man in red shirt, 4)background plate. Any brilliance would be appreciated.

thanks
Ally

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Need Assistance on splitting a person into two people
by on Jan 21, 2012 at 6:21:02 pm

Here's an idea off the top of my head:

For "continuous motion" of the foreground man, I think he needs to be in a shirt that starts with stripes and is then animated into a solid.

Shoot the actor in a shirt that is striped with your final blue but with pure green stripes (for keying purposes).

Have him step to the right.

Shoot him in the red shirt, stepping left.

The BLue/Green shirt will be the foreground man, and the red shirt will be comped behind.

Then Key the green and make it match the rest of the blue in the shirt, using a mask to wipe into the final solid blue.

The big difficulty here is getting the density of the green and blue stripe to be close. But probably easier to getting the geometry correct of stripes onto a pure green screen shirt. By putting the green stripes on the blue shirt, you can use the blue with an additional keyer to help match density.

(note: if you can't reshoot, then take the element of the red/blue striped shirt, and see if you can key the blue into a red that matches for a full red shirt - but without planning beforehand, this may not work well.

If you could post some key frames of your footage, it would be helpful.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need Assistance on splitting a person into two people
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:36:04 pm

How did you storyboard the shot? How does it show this splitting occur? It would help to know that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ally ShoreRe: Need Assistance on splitting a person into two people
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:24:40 pm

After Effects Story board

Very rough. let me know if this helps.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:36:13 pm

Sorry, it doesn't help all that much. It's just a screen grab.

A storyboard is used often in effects work to plan out the effect. It's a series of hand-drawn pictures illustrating the action in the shot. It frequently contains arrows indicating direction of motion, insets describing the action in text, etc. It shows significant moments in the action, allowing one to think about how it will occur and to plan the necessary shots & research the post-production techniques to achieve it.

Then once you have a plan, tests are run to see if the plan will work. If it doesn't, you can then evaluate what's wrong, and if you need to alter the planning.

It may seem like a lot of work, but if you don't go through the process you can end up with footage that won't work. If you've committed to this one-time shoot, you frequently have no other option than to modify your intended visual effect, almost always to the detriment of the shot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ally ShoreRe: Need Assistance on splitting a person into two people
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:48:59 am

Thanks for the feedback. I've actually done boards on this and the post was supposed to be a movie file I roughed out in AE based on the boards. It plays for me, but I guess it didn't play for you.

The basic action is a man standing looking directly to camera. He then splits into two versions of himself as if mitosis. I just thought someone may have done something with a cool plug-in that I don't know about that would give me a slightly cooler look than I was getting from mixing a RGB split with a warp efx.

I appreciate your input .

Ally

Return to posts index

by on Jan 24, 2012 at 6:10:01 pm

You're right: all I saw was a screen shot. I'm at a disadvantage.

If the talent was positioned precisely the same in all three shots, it would be possible to use a combination of masks (and possibly split layers) to achieve the look of Solid-Color guys each taking over a half of Original Guy and stepping to the side of Original Guy. That's asking a lot of the talent.

The key I saw (only briefly: for some reason my machine didn't like the video) was kind of rough-looking and presumably just an initial, quick 'n dirty key.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]