ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Brand text into meat

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImi BooseBrand text into meat
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 6:21:46 am

Hi, I'm curious if anyone has any tips to help me out with this.....
I'm trying to make a title/text burn into a piece of meat.

I've tried and it's really not looking too convincing... I did a track matte of the words and the meat and then messed around with Multiply and Bevel over a background of the same meat. It doesn't really look like it's a part of it though.

I also tried adding the text path again onto a solid layer as a mask and expanding the mask to try to get a burnt outline but it really looks stupid.

I'd also like to try to animate the actual burning and add a sizzle sound but I'm not sure what exactly to animate - there are so many options.

I'd love to hear some suggestions from some of you more seasoned professionals.

File not found - Bad serial number - the problem could be this, that or the other...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Brand text into meat
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 6:02:20 pm

This look is probably going to take a lot of precomps and animating properties within precomps. I'd start by using some noise in the symbol to be branded, just to give a more organic look. You can animate multiple instances of the Simple Choker to make it look like the brand symbol is burning in. There will be several layers of different luminances of the base color & transfer modes to get it to look right.

Now, if this brand needs actual 3D depth, that's going to be very tough. You may have to use Forge Freeform to pull it off.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Brand text into meat
by on Jan 20, 2012 at 2:22:00 pm

What Dave says is really good. Also, try thinking about what you see when a branding iron hits a piece of meat - I assume this is already cooked meat.

When the iron hits, the red hot metal causes the juices in the meat to turn into steam, so there's an initial puff, and then a steady smaller stream of steam from the edges of the iron (if you have an iron in the shot - or if this is stylized). The initial reaction of red hot on wet meat is violent enough that you'd also get a few particles being released at the initial contact. As the burn continues, the depth of the brand gets deeper, and the very edges of the brand are charred, but not in a necessarily even way. The burned area of the brand, although blackened, also has some specular highlights on it, due to it following the inner contours of the piece of meat.

Do a Google search for video of branding - you'll find a bunch of real shots of what meat looks like after the branding - I had no idea people now have grill branding irons for their favorite college teams! Also do an image Google search on "branded meat" - you'll find quite a few real shots of what the final look is, plus some really hokey approximations. Good luck!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

TImi BooseRe: Brand text into meat
by on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:41:33 am

Thanks guys - ooo it's sounding a little above my abilities, but I'm going to give it another try. Some of those branding videos are hilarious!

File not found - Bad serial number - the problem could be this, that or the other...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved