ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trying to animate music notes with audio (Example)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
danny brownTrying to animate music notes with audio (Example)
by on Jan 16, 2012 at 12:41:04 am

Hey, I'm really new to AE CS5, but after looking up some kinetic typography tutorials, I decided to try and make one for my band. I've been doing pretty good and have learned a lot, but for the bridge of the song I wanted to have the music notes pop up with the music, since there's no vocals in that part.

Very similiar to this video.

at 2:12 - 2:24

I've tried transcribing the part into a music notation software (Sibelius) and taking a picture of the notes it self, and the staff itself, but when I try to animate the notes on the timeline, it doesn't let me animate it the same as if it were text. Not sure if this makes a difference, but the standard timeline color for text is red, and with the image its like a teal color. I can't move it by frames, only by certain intervals which doesn't work at all for what I'm trying to do.

I hope this makes sense and hopefully someone could help me out or point me to someone/somewhere who can.

Thanks so much!
Danny

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Trying to animate music notes with audio (Example)
by on Jan 16, 2012 at 2:35:32 am

What you are trying to do is actually pretty easy - to emulate what they did in that video you posted:

1) Export from Sibelius two images of the same size - one with an empty staff, and the other with all your notes.

2) Bring both into a comp - make the empty staff the bottom image.

3) On the TOP image, add a MASK, then animate the MASK to reveal the notes.

Return to posts index

danny brownRe: Trying to animate music notes with audio (Example)
by on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:06:57 pm

Awesome thank you so much!

I am gonna try this and i'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again, really appreciate it

Return to posts index

danny brownRe: Trying to animate music notes with audio (Example)
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:46:46 pm

thanks again for your help!

Here's the final product. This is my first ever typography vid so don't laugh :P The music notes part starts at 2:11

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Trying to animate music notes with audio (Example)
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:46:22 am

Nice first effort!! I especially like the "Letters on a string" effect you did at 1:15 - that's worth making a tutorial about!

:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]