ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making complicated gif animation for signatures

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick BarnettMaking complicated gif animation for signatures
by on Jan 15, 2012 at 9:32:15 pm

Hello everyone, Just need a fishing pole on this. I am trying to blend two videos together, add text and use for signatures on forums (300px X 150px max 500kb).

This is how far I got. My main background is the 300 X 150 sized movie that I converted to 22 frames. Saved as psd file in CS4 PS

The second movie I shot from HD m2t file I converted to .mov so PS would open it. I hand picked the 22 frames (they need to sync to the 22 frames background). These frames I cropped and sized to about 75px X 75px so the images can rest in the bottom right hand corner. I would like to erase the edges of this and add opacity so its nice and neat.

I have not gotten to the text yet but that will be 22 frames as well. What is the best method to blending these all together without going frame by frame? Right now the two videos are a combined 3.5 mb. I assume when this is completed I can successfully compress this to the required 500kb?

First time at this. I would pay for tutorial or class if I could find one.

Thanks so much for your response, Rick B

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Making complicated gif animation for signatures
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 4:12:43 pm

Why are you doing any of this in Photoshop? After Effects seems like a much better tool. Do you have access to AE?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Rick BarnettRe: Making complicated gif animation for signatures
by on Jan 17, 2012 at 5:33:00 pm

I do have access to Adobe AE. I never have used that program before. I hear its a steep learning curve. But a little help would be great. I did assume AE was the program for these things. I would think this is a basic for AE.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:44:38 am

You're quite right; there is a rather steep learning curve to AE. However, you are also right that what you've mentioned is very easy for AE. (Although, if it's for a web banner, it might be better to do it with Flash, if you have that.)

Anyway, if you want to start learning AE's basics. This is a great resource: [link]

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2012 at 4:48:50 am

This is not for a web banner but for some forum signatures. These sites do not support flash for sigs.....only gif animation. Please a few sentences to get me started. regards Rick

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2012 at 2:11:07 pm

Alright, well, animating like you describe is part of the basics for AE. Check out the resources in the link I posted and you should be well on your way.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:52:00 pm

I have gone through many tutorials on the basics. After many hours I am still struggling.

I want to create (for a particular forum) animated signatures (multiple layers) that are restricted to 300px by 150px no bigger than 500kb. I am told this will work with no more then 20-30 frames total.

I have two video clips (.avi and .m2t) I converted both to .mov.

Using Photoshop 32 bit I imported each mov file with "Video Frames To Layers" and selecting every 3 frames.

I cropped the main as I only want a portion of the clip for the background. I then sized it to 300px X 150px.

I cropped the second clip about 75px X 75px. Can I assume in AF if I erase some edges of this clip it will do it to all 25 frames? PS will crop all frames/layers at once but the erase tool does not do this for all the frames at one time.

I then hand picked 25 frames out of each clip and saved each to psd.

I tried to open these files in After Affects but the preview window was frozen to a single image even when I moved the time line.

Am I going about this the right way? Could I have just as easily done the above Photoshop steps in AF's? Or did I do wrong by saving to psd? PS did not let me save it back to .mov!

Please any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:33:48 pm

I did figure out why the freezing image was in AF. I did not Export>render Video from PS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]