ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Does anybody remember...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BeeCee WrightDoes anybody remember...
by on Jan 15, 2012 at 7:03:21 pm

(This will show my age)...Max Headroom(Matt Frewer)?

Hello everyone. I have lurked this site gaining massive knowledge from all of the wonderful people here at the Cow. I use Vegas Pro 10 for most of my editing needs, though I do have CS5 in the wings waiting to be explored. I like the vegas program for the simplicity. Anyway to my first question...

1. Does anyone remember Max Headroom from the 1980's?

2. If you do, does anyone know how they did Matt Frewer's set up? (I know that most of it was plastic suits, contacts and hair) I am interested in the stuttering effects and pitch change that seemed to be done as if in a random programing time.

My goal is to do the exact same thing as the "SHOWTIME" Max Headroom interview show (If anybody remembers that) where Max seemingly would be able to interview live guest in a realtime format.

If anyone could point me in a general direction of learning how to do this I would greatly be thankful.

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Does anybody remember...
by on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:39:17 pm

Yes, I remember the show - the video effect was done with a Fairlight CVI (Computer Video Instrument).

The actor, in heavy makeup (a latex mask) and with high contrast lighting would perform in front of a camera, and a CVI operator would introduce the stutter and other effects in real time.

Fairlight is more known as the company that invented the digital sampling keyboard, I used to work for them many years ago which is why I'm familiar with this bit of trivia.

Regarding makeup see also:

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Does anybody remember...
by on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:41:31 pm

Just to add - I do see Fairlight CVIs on Ebay from time to time - though they are all in standard def.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved