ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Skip every third line and rescale?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliot FrahsSkip every third line and rescale?
by on May 29, 2014 at 9:53:12 pm

Is it possible to deal with footage that has been upscaled in an unacceptable way?

For this project, I'm working on shots from a 5DmkIII with an Atomos Ninja 2 external recorder. The director called for slow motion, which was done with the camera's 60-fps recording mode. The issue is, the camera only sends 1280x720 resolution over HDMI-out in this mode, and the external recorder received this signal and upscaled it to 1920x1080 resolution in a peculiar way - I believe it duplicated every other vertical line.

My plan is to rescale it back to 1280x720 by removing the duplicated lines, after which I can upscale it with a bicubic method to 1920x1080, our delivery format. Unfortunately using the internal camera footage is not an option for some shots.

Is there a way to skip every third line? Will this work on the other axis? Is there any way to deal with poorly upscaled footage?

Return to posts index

Elliot FrahsRe: Skip every third line and rescale?
by on May 29, 2014 at 10:39:03 pm

Update! I tried skipping every third line by using track mattes and appropriately offsetting duplicates of the upscale layer (based on the position of the appropriate layer below.) I think the results looked good in the x-axis, and then on the y-axis I simply used AE's scale. The rescaled external recorder footage looks better than the in-camera footage, in my opinion:

BUT, I don't want to create thousands of layers! This method requires a new layer for every other pixel in the x-axis. I'm already getting stack overflow errors. The good news is that it seems like skipping every third line gives a good result. Is there a practical way to do this?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Skip every third line and rescale?
by on May 30, 2014 at 1:17:46 pm

There's likely a way to do what you want using displacement maps, but setting up the initial map to be as exact as you would need it would likely take quite some time.
This is a tough one...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved