ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Setting up a cheap broadcast solution from scratch

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Craig Ricker
Setting up a cheap broadcast solution from scratch
on May 30, 2014 at 7:25:50 am

Hi guys,

Simply put, trying to setup a very low budget (under $50k) studio/broadcast setup for a 1 hour fortnightly forum show. I'm mainly looking for input here on the best way to do video playback through a BDM switcher.

Heres what I've come up with so far:

BMD ATEM ME2- $4835
Alpha transitions, basic cutting, fades, clip store for guest/host animated supers
The 4K will not be in use. But is there for future upgradeability of cameras if desired.

Third party macro support for the BMD switcher
XKeys 80 – macro keyboard - $200 x 3
Just macros software – free

BMD Studio camera - $1995 x 3

Video Insert playback -

Option 1
Hyperdeck studio - $995 X 3
1. Instant cue and playback VT inserts
2. Motion graphics in background set
3. Motion graphics in background set
cons – no alpha

Macbook pro or similar - $2000 (or use existing)
HDMI output of premiere for animated name supers or name titles

Option 2 –
Basic PC tower - $1500
BMD Decklink cards - $300 x 3

CasperCG software – free
Pros – allows alphas and a host of video processing and effects

Macbook pro or similar - $2000 (or use existing)
HDMI output of premiere for animated name supers or name titles

Second issue is point to point streaming. Essentially to transport our material to a satellite distributor such as optus or telenor, we wish to utilise an encoding unit to take our stream onto the internet and then receive it at the optus/telenor sites and convert it back to SDI so they can switch it to the satellite.

The second half is what i'm curious about. Trying to find a cheap reliable solution to receive the stream and take to SDI. At the moment, I know we could just use a PC tower open up a web browser, and output full screen our stream playing back via HDMI and run through a HDMI to SDI converter, but wondered if there was a more elegant solution?

Mac Pro 2.4Ghz 8 core, 24GB RAM, GTX 670

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Setting up a cheap broadcast solution from scratch
on May 30, 2014 at 3:21:46 pm

Michael's right about the appropriate forum, but in my experience, you don't want to do this. There are too many technical pitfalls. I wouldn't buy studio gear. I'd rent time in a studio that's built for the purpose.

I doubt you have a broadcast engineer working with you... and if you do, you're not paying attention. So just rent time from the folks who know what they're doing.

Furthermore, that's not a complete budget. What about sets? What about furniture? What about Lighting? What about audio? What about costume and makeup? What about creature comforts for the program guests?

Go with someone who has been around the block. Don't do it yourself.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Jun 1, 2014 at 11:57:08 pm

Wrong forum I see. None of this stuff is rocket science, and even if it was, i'm sure I'd be able to work it out with time. Paying money to rent a studio is exactly why we are looking into doing one ourselves. We already have a purchased studio setup here in Australia with a grass valley. Looking to replicate its entire functioning in the UK on a much cheaper system setup. My main question here wasn't, about an entire setup, but rather about playback systems integrating with the BMD ME/2 switcher that was all.

Regards Craig

Mac Pro 2.4Ghz 8 core, 24GB RAM, GTX 670

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 30, 2014 at 1:14:50 pm

This is more of an After Effects forum (granted, it's labeled as "Broadcast Design" in some of the forum lists here...)
I see that you have also posted in the broadcasting forum which will probably net you more useful results.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]