ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

I apologize in advance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve urquelI apologize in advance
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 3:35:58 pm

Hi I'm Steve,

I'm new in every sense of the word. New to Creative Cow, new to the industry and new to pretty much every program that I'm working with. If this is in the wrong forum please direct me to where I should be writing this.

I am knowledgeable but not quite professional in Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator. I am just starting to use Cinema 4D. My ultimate goal is to become an Editor but I'm wondering if there are other programs I need to learn or just a overall description of what an editor is expected to know vs. what is realistic.

Also, if someone could help breakdown which programs or which type of programs were used in this video and let me know if I would be expected to know how to do everything in it as an Editor. At the moment it's really overwhelming and any help is completely appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: I apologize in advance
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 5:30:24 pm

What you are expected to do will vary wildly from job to job. Some jobs may want you to just edit. Some may want you to just work on producing materials to be used in Cinema4D. Some may want you to just focus on animating in After Effects. Some will want you to do capturing, editing, and compressing the final output as well as having a working knowledge of AE...

I could go on and on, but I only have so much time before the render I'm waiting for is done. :)

The point is, the more things you're good at, the more valuable you might be and the wider range of options for jobs you could apply for. The downside is that, if you're a jack of all trades, you'll be a master of none. In case any of my future potential employers find this thread, the exception to that last rule is if you're me - I do it all perfectly and before the deadline! :D

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve urquelRe: I apologize in advance
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 5:38:35 pm

Haha thanks, it's a good point. I just had no clue what I was in for.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: I apologize in advance
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 7:36:50 pm

What is your ultimate goal? Like, what do you actually want to do? Do you want to be a motion graphics designer with C4D or is simply editing truly what you want to do? Become an expert in what you want to be.

For me, I truly am a jack of all trades.
My first full-time job was as a print designer. I did brochures, billboards, posters, cd covers, etc. I then moved on to motion design and then into shooting and editing. Now I've added 3d animation to my arsenal. I like a job that requires me to do all this. It's what I like doing. I have a wide variety of experiences this way.
I don't think my bosses here quite appreciate what they have :P At various times I'm expected to work on scripts, plan shoots, light the sets/locations, set up cameras, capture audio, run the teleprompter, operate the steadicam/jibs, ingest it all, edit it, and do 3d animations as well (with everything that entails: modeling, texturing, rigging, lighting, etc.). Whew, I need a raise!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: I apologize in advance
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:06:16 pm

That's not an editorial reel; that's motion design. While an editor today may be expected to be comfortable with an application like After Effects, the sort of work that you see in that reel is well beyond what most editors are capable of and far more typical of what a professional motion designer would do.

Even the question of "what an editor is expected to know" is tough to answer -- I think it depends on your market and industry.

While we often talk about proficiency with the tools (Final Cut, After Effects, etc.), that's not necessarily indicative of the skills you'll need (senses of timing, composition, design, etc.).

Another big question for you is if you want to be salaried or freelance.

What are you doing now? What do you want to be doing a year from now?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Steve urquelRe: I apologize in advance
by on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:11:43 am

Sorry for the late reply... Holidays and such.

Well when I first started out I was strictly about the editing, as I started playing with After Effects it really made me love post even more. Now I have C4D and I feel just overwhelmed by it all but slowly I'm learning everything with my own practice and the help of the community and various texts.

Right now I'm interning with a company but really all I'm doing is handling their blog from production to post. It's pretty terrible as far as content is concerned, but they're paying me and they want me to do as much as I can for them so it lets me be creative so it's actually a decent internship.

I'd rather be salaried but it's my understanding that it's a very rare if not impossible thing to achieve in this industry unless you're absolutely superhuman and don't mind not having a family (I'm young so superhuman is possible at least for a couple of years)

I honestly don't know what I want to be doing a year from now. I enjoy this line of work so as long as the content is remotely interesting I'll be happy. After that it's just about making enough to survive if not thrive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]