ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to apply effects to only one subject of a video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Parker Darnall
How to apply effects to only one subject of a video
on Nov 26, 2011 at 3:57:48 am

I have a video of three of my cousins dancing on a green screen background. I want to colorize only one person in the video but considering they are dancing, they are moving all over the place and in front of each other. Also i want the effect to be clean of course not splotchy. Can anyone tell me how to select only one person then i can apply the colorization effect. I dont even no if this is possible so anything would help. Btw the video is one layer not multiple layers.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: How to apply effects to only one subject of a video
on Nov 26, 2011 at 7:01:17 pm

Unless your cousins are dressed in totally different solid colors, the only way to achieve this is through a combination of keying and rotoscoping.

I suggest you try the key first, just to see how many frames you will absolutely have to do by hand. Then use the Roto-brush (depending on what version of AE you have) or hand mask the subject you want to correct. It will be time consuming, but a good learning experience.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: How to apply effects to only one subject of a video
on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:14:25 pm

Roto Brush is not as intuitive as it seems, so go through the resources linked here: [link]
In case the Roto Brush doesn't do it for you, you will have to do Rotoscoping (as Joseph mentioned). This page is full of tips, tricks, and tutorials to make it less painful: [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]