ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Flying Book?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mohamed ShahawyFlying Book?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:53:16 pm

Hi,

So this is my first post and I hope someone helps me out.
I'm doing this project and there's a scene where a witch is supposed to put her hand up and a book flies off the shelf into her hand. I need a professional way to do that because the only 2 techniques I came up with is either using invisible thread or taking a still image and just use masks and simply animate it. I think both of these ways would look a bit unrealistic.. Does anyone have any thoughts?
All answers are appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Flying Book?
by on Nov 18, 2011 at 6:11:38 pm

[Mohamed Shahawy] "I'm doing this project and there's a scene where a witch is supposed to put her hand up and a book flies off the shelf into her hand. I need a professional way to do that because the only 2 techniques I came up with is either using invisible thread or taking a still image and just use masks and simply animate it. I think both of these ways would look a bit unrealistic."

Doing it practically is easier. Can you put the book in the talent's hand, then yank it out with a wire, and reverse the clip? Likewise with the bookcase -- pull it from the bookcase and reverse the clip. Use wire removal in both cases as necessary.

Cut the two shots together in editorial. If you must keep it to a single shot, set it up with a locked-down tripod and composite the two shots together. Motion blur is your friend for covering the transition from the witch shot to the bookshelf shot in the comp.

Either way, storyboard it so you know what shots you need, and do a rough test to prove the concept before the full shoot.

This will be vastly simpler than trying to make this look real with 3D animation.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]