ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color Matching in AE: the best plugin you suggest

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Luchini DucaColor Matching in AE: the best plugin you suggest
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 9:04:39 am

Hallo everybody,
I'd like to make a very accurate Color Matching in AE and ask about the best plugin for AE (and tutorial or guide to make it ).

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Color Matching in AE: the best plugin you suggest
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 7:15:29 pm

Sometimes people mean different things when they talk about color-matching so, if my answer's not good enough, please go into more detail.

There are many ways to match color between shots in AE and many different tools to do it. Which one is best may depend on the shot and what you are most comfortable with. This old tutorial [link] gives a fascinating way to get perfectly accurate color in your shot as far as white balancing goes.

I like Synthetic Aperture's Color Finesse effect that comes with After Effects. It allows you to pick a reference image and have a split-screen view with your reference and the shot you're working on for color matching.

Also, there are many color correction tips in these tutorials [link] that should help.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Color Matching in AE: the best plugin you suggest
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 9:19:34 pm

Color Finesse is a pretty comprehensive plugin for grading in After Effects. It's the only one that supports a control surface and it has scopes built-in, but it also relies on its own interface, which isn't color managed.

If you'd prefer to stick with an effect that relies on AE's native toolset, my personal favorite is Colorista II from Red Giant Software. Couple that with Synthetic Aperture's Test Gear or META/DMA's Scopo Gigio for soft scopes and you have another very powerful option.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Simon Luchini DucaRe: Color Matching in AE: the best plugin you suggest
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 5:41:02 am

Thank you to everybody,
for Color Matching I mean to uniform many different footage... mainly a background shot (that normally is the reference image to match color) with others footage (live shot action keying processed, 2D and 3D image cgi...).
I knew Finesse 3 but I couldn't find a tutorial for Color Match but only for Color correction...
essentially I look for a plugin but also tutorials that explain how to use the plugin to do color matching.
I hope you can help me!

Many Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:04:07 pm

[Simon Luchini Duca] "for Color Matching I mean to uniform many different footage... I knew Finesse 3 but I couldn't find a tutorial for Color Match but only for Color correction..."

What you are describe -- making separate shots appear uniform -- IS color correction.

FCPX has a one-click "Match Color" feature, but it doesn't work all that well. See Oliver Peter's blog for an example of Match Color in action [link].

You'll be better off using tools like Color Finesse or Colorista II to make your shots all match.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:24:15 pm

Okay,
sorry, but Color Correction you mean comes after color matching... but you can't make a Color Correction before the color matching process...
Before - so I know - you have to "balance" all color from your others images (this is color Matching, I know)with the reference colors background and than, when your images have the same color value you can make Color Correction.

Anywhere, do you know any tutorial for this specific job (Color Matching I just said) cause I found just tutorial for simple color correction.

(Maybe We are talking about the same thing...)

Many Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:30:27 pm

[Simon Luchini Duca] "sorry, but Color Correction you mean comes after color matching... but you can't make a Color Correction before the color matching process...
Before - so I know - you have to "balance" all color from your others images (this is color Matching, I know)with the reference colors background and than, when your images have the same color value you can make Color Correction. "

Well, sort of.

The first step in color grading is usually to balance the image -- bring it to a reasonable neutral place to begin work. Well-balanced images should intercut well with each other, but not necessarily with other footage, so this is not really color matching.

Once the image is balanced, you can then perform additional primary or secondary operations to actually color the image. If you're trying to match back to a specific look, you'd do that here. If you're trying to create an expressive color look, you'd do that here as well.

[Simon Luchini Duca] "Anywhere, do you know any tutorial for this specific job (Color Matching I just said) cause I found just tutorial for simple color correction."

There is a huge amount of good color training available online. There are quite a few color tutorials here on the COW [link]. Walter Biscardi published some training that's specific to Apple Color [link], but it contains a lot of good general theory, too, and it's marked down since Color has been EOL'ed. There are courses at Lynda and FXPHD. Alexis Van Hurkman has written an excellent book, Color Correction Handbook, which I recommend to everyone.

The subject of color is pretty deep, and while you can learn the basics from a few tutorials online, it really requires a lot of study.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:28:04 am

Okay W,
many thanks for your reply.

By

Return to posts index