ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

When motion control is out of control, ideas to fix it?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Kristian FlemmenWhen motion control is out of control, ideas to fix it?
by on Nov 12, 2014 at 10:01:46 am

Hey,

Just started comping a motion control project where we are splicing two versions of the same guy into the same dialogue scene, using a pee pod pan/tilt head and one or two green screens here and there.
We used some quality gear, and guys, and the results are mostly great - but:

The location we shot at (an oooold farmhouse) had some wobbly floors.
The results being that in one shot, the actor is stepping relatively close to the camera, resulting in an unintended camera motion, that is only present in that take - not the other.

When comped, one part of the image sways a bit, the other one doesn't.

Now, it's fortunate that it is a clear foreground/background shot where the FG was shot with a green screen in the back (filling a door opening) and the background being the stuff you see through the opening.

Basically, the current solution I am thinking of is to track a certain point in the "swaying footage" (an X on the wall), and make the same X in the second take stick to the tracked X.

Now, I might just be a bit brain fried - but:
I have a good track of the "swaying X", how to make a point in the other shot stay at the tracked point?

BG:

FG:

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: When motion control is out of control, ideas to fix it?
by on Nov 13, 2014 at 3:42:01 pm

Apply your tracking data to a null object.
Parent your non-moving footage to that null.

Alternatively, use the legacy stabilizer to make your moving footage sit still.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Lars Kristian FlemmenRe: When motion control is out of control, ideas to fix it?
by on Nov 14, 2014 at 9:11:19 am

Hi, thanks for your reply.
The thing is that doing so doesn't quite do the trick - as the entire non-swaying footage (B) is now moving relative to the movement of the track point, but what I need, is to force a specific point within the B footage to stick to a point within A. As the shots are practically the same - motion control - that very same point is present in both shots, so how to force those points to stay on top of each other?

BTW
Stabilizing footage B and attaching it to the null is of course a solution, but the movement isn't 100% natural. But an option - of course.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2014 at 8:25:54 pm

Use the legacy stabilizer on one of the clips using That Special Spot.
Motion track the other clip based on That Special Spot and apply that data to a null object.
Parent the stabilized clip to the null and move it so that the two Special Spots line up.

That might work. Or it might not. Without seeing the footage, it's hard to guess.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Lars Kristian FlemmenRe: When motion control is out of control, ideas to fix it?
by on Nov 14, 2014 at 10:39:08 pm

Thanks again!
Gave that a try earlier today, and it sort of works, but generates a somewhat two dimentional movement (suprise). And getting that perfect track is a bit harder than i thought. Moght have to focus harder on that! Might just be the solution I end up using :)

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2014 at 9:10:43 am

Hi!
Thanks for your help!
Ended up stabilizing the guy in the toilet and attaching him to the track point from the other shot.
Works quite good with a little tweaking.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2014 at 2:19:38 pm

Awesome! Glad you got it.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]