ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

working with 3D concept

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dawud Aliworking with 3D concept
by on Nov 5, 2011 at 10:39:42 pm

working with 3D concept

hi guys please firstly watch this short clip first to understand my inquiry

I usually work in the 2d environment but for my upcoming project I really want to start experimenting with 3d space in after-effects but I'm not quite sure how to go about the technique, in terms of work flow. So I need suggestions, any links to existing materials that wold enable me to understand the technique better.

Answering theses question will heelp:
-how would you set up the compositions
-do you have to animate every part in 3d in the same comp meaning if you need to change something you will have to re-work everything or

-is it possible to create different pre-composed segments for each scene/ part and then drop them all into a new comp, arrange them in 3d space and then run a camera pass them

- is it possible to retain 3d properties of pre-composed layers when placed into a new comp i.e to stop them looking flat when placed into a new comp.
Example of a pre-comp, you set up a few lines of 3D text with distance between them in z space. if you place this into a new comp we want to be able to still see the the distance between each text if we move around it with a camera

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Mark WhitneyRe: working with 3D concept
by on Nov 7, 2011 at 10:20:24 pm

Things can get "frustrating" working with AE in 3D, but the example you showed shouldn't be too daunting. Mainly, you've camera controls along with point of interest position, but there are ways of dealing with them so they aren't fighting you.

Yes, using pre-comps is the way to go although there are a few aspects that can get confusing when dealing with nested comps. Collapse Transformations for example when using vector based artwork might cause some unexpected results if your not aware, but in general I wouldn't worry about it as it's always an easy fix; just a matter of finding the right check box to toggle usually.

There's plenty of material on the COW to study, but I'd also recommend these sites for tutorials:
He has a tutorial specifically on working with 3D cameras in AE as well as an inexpensive script for setup.
Tons of good info here as well.

Good luck,

Return to posts index

Dawud AliRe: working with 3D concept
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:00:53 am

Thanks a lot for comment.
I already know about video copilot but not the other very interesting.
stuff there.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved