ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animate simple lines over a grid

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric BoslokAnimate simple lines over a grid
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 3:58:47 pm

Hi! I'd been ask to replicate what can be seen in the following video from 1:17 to 1:22 (it also appears from 1:52 to 1:57, from 2:27 to 2:32, and so on)

Basically I need to know how to apply the animated lines over the grid and if I need to precompose stuff to apply the opacity to everything but the new generated square.

I know it's seems as basic stuff but I'm new to After effects, so any detailed explanation will be of great help and REALLY appreciated, given the fact that I have to deliver this urgently!

Again, thank you very much for the time and help!

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Animate simple lines over a grid
by on Nov 7, 2011 at 6:17:49 pm

I don't know if this is the most elegant way, but I would create that grid overlay with the grid effect on a solid. Once I got that aligned I would export the frame where the line animation should start from AE. I would bring that frame into illustrator and make my lines there and get them lined up. While I'm there in AI, I would possibly create a matte shape for the outside squares that will contain the darkened images. Put everything on its own layer.

Import that AI into AE. Animate a mask on the lines.

There are a million ways to make those outside images darker, but in my impromptu way, I would make an adjustment layer with a levels or curves to darken. Put the matte shape I created in AI above it. Set the Track Matte of the adjustment layer to Alpha Matte and then use the matte shape layer's opacity to animate the darkening.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved