ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to connect multiple 3d point by stroke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilad LevinHow to connect multiple 3d point by stroke
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:23:44 pm

hey pepole

i just started to work on new project in AE CS 5
in one of the scene i need to create lots of point (simple 2d circles) in 3d enviorment which connect to eachother by stroke (the stroke need to be with full control of the spacing value).

Eventually my goal is to make "growing" net linked from point to point in the 3d enviorment

i tried to use 3d stroke but it seems that my main problem is the poor control of the stroke spacing (the 3d line need to be lots of small dots)
with plexus i could not control "movment" of line beetwen point to point
in particular emitter lights it seems to be most reasonable way but also exhausting way.

i cannot figure how to connect all of the points position value to one big "growing" net. In addition i need to make the net grow from nothing to fully linked.

somebody with solutions ???

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How to connect multiple 3d point by stroke
by on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:03:45 pm

It sounds like something that might be better suited for an actual 3d environment. I imagine you could knock this out in C4D fairly quickly.

In AE, you can use the Beam effect with expressions on the beginning and end points to make it connect with dots; it's not a true 3d effect, but you can get away with a lot. You just need an expression to translate the 3d position of a point to the apparent 2d position in the comp window. Thankfully Dan Ebberts is around:
L = thisComp.layer("Point 1");

Where Point 1 is the name of one of the points you want to connect.

You would then be able to animate the Beam to make it grow between the points. With planning, you could write some expressions to control the sequential growing of all the beams based on a slider on a null object.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved