ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

free chroma repair project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wrightfree chroma repair project
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 11:41:37 am

I made a chroma smoother for After Effects. It sandwiches rgb to hsl, then smart blurs only the saturation channel, so there's zero blurring on the actual rgb. It fixes minor DCT blockyness and grainy footage. Luv to hear feedback!

AE cs3 aep

Return to posts index

Jim ArcoRe: free chroma repair project
by on Oct 18, 2011 at 2:01:58 pm

As always, your projects amaze me. I just spent a few minutes with this one on some noisy DV footage and also on some AVCHD files that a friend just brought me. As advertised, it takes out much of the blockyness and even improves the graininess in the low-light DV footage.

You asked for comments: The "black mask" control seems very sensitive. With a setting of 100, I get strange artifacts in the shadows and with 99.99, I do not see them. Either I'm not understanding it's purpose, or you might want to add a multiplication factor to the control.

Thanks for your continuuing work to help us improve footage!

Return to posts index

David EspRe: free chroma repair project
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 9:22:50 am

Chris, hi, would it be possible please to try out your chroma smoother for AE ? I have CS5.5 by the way. Reason: shot 4:2:0, looking to chroma-upsample within AE because it's a chromakey shot.

I just found your post while web-researching (to orientate myself and find out what might be available) this morning:

Any thoughts welcome of course!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: free chroma repair project
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 12:55:06 pm

you can get the same chroma smoothing as most expensive keyers for free by simply adding an adjustment layer with ae's median effect at 2-4 and set the transfer mode set to color.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved