ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Transition into Motion Graphics

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cara AndersonTransition into Motion Graphics
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:35:21 pm

I truly need to do something that incorporates art, film, and music and want to get into motion graphics companies, especially those who work with HBO. What should I do and where do I begin? My background is in painting and drawing and am currently studying graphic design.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Transition into Motion Graphics
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:16:50 pm

Hi Cara -

The good news is that you're already several steps ahead of those who want to get into motion graphics, but have no background in art. I think you may be narrowing your scope a bit much by wanting to target companies who work with HBO, but, that said, it's good to aim at something - you can always change direction.

A knowledge of design, typography, perspective, composition, and other "traditional" facets of an art education are essential (or should be) to getting into motion graphics. If you're studying graphic design at a college, you may want to look around right where you are. Many colleges which teach a traditional art education are also offering animation and motion graphics courses.

I don't know what you have for software (I use the Adobe CS5 Production Suite, 3D Studio, and a few other ancillary packages) , but a good place to start is to look at what you like (obviously HBO, at this point), and try to figure out just what is being done. Many of the animations are simply multiple stills layers being animated in x, y, and z space, and being overlaid in various modes (much like Photoshop), so as to look much more complex than they really are. When you add these to video, the illusion of depth can be astonishing.

I think that by studying what you like, picking that apart, taking some courses in After Effects, or other compositing software, Photoshop, and Illustrator (if you're not already), plus starting to think of the screen not as a flat object, but as more of a viewport into space, you will be on your way.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Transition into Motion Graphics
by on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:54:10 pm

Great advice from Joe. I would like to add that doing an internship can really help and it will introduce you to some people in the industry. Also, who knows, an internship can lead to a job.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

bob edwardsRe: Transition into Motion Graphics
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 12:18:39 am

Just to add my 'ditto' to the discussion; Mike and Steve are right.

Also, for fun and to be a fanboy, here are a few of the companies that I would love to get a spot at, maybe you'll find some inspiration:
digital kitchen (did the intros for Dexter, True Blood, House, Nip Tuck and many awesome ad spots and title sequences among other things)

Return to posts index

by on Oct 25, 2011 at 12:20:00 am

...sorry, Stephen not Steve.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 25, 2011 at 12:21:31 am

Clearly I suck at names - lol
Let's try this for the final time (and sorry for the forum spam)
Joseph and Stephen are right (why did I put Mike? and Steve?).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved