ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Montreal Tourism Video, How its done?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin EmeryMontreal Tourism Video, How its done?
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 6:24:15 pm

Hey guys

this is pretty much my first post to the forums but i have been following these forums for sometime, naturally when i wondered how this effect was created i thought of you guys, so here goes ;

Basically im looking at a promotional tourism video for the city of montreal quebec canada, and it uses and interesting "google earth" style of zooming in and out of various locations across the city.

(it can be seen here :

I think i might have a general idea how its done( something kind of similar to the "earth zoom" tutorial from video copilot) but if anyone could give me any insight to the way this video was created would be much appreciated.

Also, please forgive any forum faux pas's.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Montreal Tourism Video, How its done?
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 6:45:14 pm

I'd guess there's a good amount of CG in that spot. Some of those moves show some really nice 3D on shots I can't imagine getting with a helicopter or jib.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Montreal Tourism Video, How its done?
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 9:32:48 pm

I think there's more than just a little bit of CG in there, Walter.
I don't think I've ever seen Montreal look so... well, empty! Where are all the people & cars?

There's something fishy going on with that video...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Justin EmeryRe: Montreal Tourism Video, How its done?
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 1:47:48 am

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

yeah for sure lots of cgi in there, like, its all cgi leading up to, and then following the helicopter shots.

you can see that they modeled the parts of the town that they zoom in on, or out of, until they reach the helicopter/crane shots.

any ideas how they composited the two together? my guess is through blending/dissolving and camera tricks, hiding behind rocks and buildings.

i can KIND OF envision it in my head, but i feel like thats a world apart from practically applying it lol, if anyone has any exp in this area, id love to hear from you.

awesome promo video for montreal, makes our city look awesome.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Montreal Tourism Video, How its done?
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:19:50 pm

It's not hard to make Montreal look great, but I take your meaning. You'll note the similarity between my name and a certain theme park on l'isle Ste. Helene. J'aime souvent visiter!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Montreal Tourism Video, How its done?
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:38:27 pm

[Justin Emery] "any ideas how they composited the two together? my guess is through blending/dissolving and camera tricks, hiding behind rocks and buildings."

That's my guess, too. If your CG must be integrated with real footage, you'll want to study up on matchmoving and set extension.

I'd guess that since Montreal was home to Softimage and Discreet, there's plenty of amazing local 3D talent.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Justin EmeryRe: Montreal Tourism Video, How its done?
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:13:46 am

Oh wow, thanks Walter that's exactly the direction I needed to be pointed, looks like I got some reading to do/ tutorials to watch.

And yeah totally, Montreal is an amazing city, filled with super creative people. If anyone has ever thought about taking a trip here I highly recommend it.

Thanks again guys, this was incredibly helpful, I never participate in forums but I feel like this is actually a great way to talk and share ideas with people who love video and computers as much as I do

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]