ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Win7 tablet for Poser Pro?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex GerulaitisWin7 tablet for Poser Pro?
by on May 20, 2011 at 8:20:22 pm

Good day everyone,

A friend of mine is looking for a high end tablet she wants to run Poser, Maya, ZBrush, Adobe Bundle and Sketchbook Pro on. She mentioned Motion J3500 Tablet PC however to me, it looks more like a medical / rugged field (military, construction, etc.) type device: it seems a little low on memory (4GB max.), resolution (1200x800) and graphics (integrated Intel?) to be a fully functional tablet for a pro animator / artist.

Poser Pro works best with graphics cards that have hardware OpenGL support. Pretty sure Maya wants a fairly strong machine with decent graphics, memory and CPU, as well.

Any suggestions, comments, recommendations?

Thanks!

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Win7 tablet for Poser Pro?
by on May 21, 2011 at 2:50:57 pm

If it has a max of 4GB of RAM, it certainly not a "high end" tablet, except maybe in price. I just purchased a ThinkPad W510 with 16GB of RAM and quad core processing, running Win 7 64-bit for 1000 dollars (lightly used - still under warranty). While it's not a touchpad (and I really don't think touchpads have enough accuracy for a graphic artist), there is a touchpad model available. I would still suggest using a Wacom tablet. Drawing with a mouse is like drawing with a potato - drawing with your finger is like drawing with a carrot - just not enough accuracy.

I think your friend needs to stay in the "workstation" realm of portable computers - HP, Dell, Lenovo, and a few others come to mind. Look at the number and speed of processors, then at the maximum amount of RAM, and you'll start to narrow them down. Also look at the graphics card; mine came with a higher end (for a laptop) NVIDIA.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: Win7 tablet for Poser Pro?
by on May 22, 2011 at 5:52:27 am

Thanks Joe,

I talked to my animator friend some more: she wants a lightweight tablet she can draw on (using a pen). From my initial research, no such animal exists yet, that would work well with, say, Poser Pro.

She wants something she could take to a coffee shop or a park and draw on it for a couple of hours - again, using a stylus, not fingers.

A tablet like this would need to be the size of iPad or maybe a little heavier, have decent CPU performance and memory capacity - like you mentioned - and a decent graphics chip.

Am I correct thinking no such animal exists yet?

The Motion Graphics model I mentioned in my 1st post actually does have a decent CPU, but lags in memory and especially in graphics departments.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Win7 tablet for Poser Pro?
by on May 22, 2011 at 11:11:59 pm

As far as I know, it doesn't exist yet. Plus, if it did, there are currently no serious drawing tools available for such a beast. I don't know that Adobe is willing to develop software yet for a market which is currently in the 1 to 2 percent market penetration (even counting the Ipad).

Here's a good rundown of what's been done in the portable tablet world historically, and presently. It may give you an idea of where things are headed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_personal_computer

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Win7 tablet for Poser Pro? --> OT: mobile workstation
by on May 25, 2011 at 4:18:28 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "I just purchased a ThinkPad W510 with 16GB of RAM and quad core processing, running Win 7 64-bit"

Hi Joe,

Please pardon the totally off-topic question, but I remember your thread discussing your options for your new machine. How is the W-series ThinkPad working out for you?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Win7 tablet for Poser Pro? --> OT: mobile workstation
by on May 25, 2011 at 9:01:45 pm

Hi Walter -

Although I haven't thrown too much at it yet, I am extremely pleased with the ThinkPad W510. It has a lot under the hood, with an Intel Core i7 Q720 1.6GHz processor, 16GB of RAM, and an Nvidia Quadro FX 880M graphics card. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Ultimate? come on!).

I've been spending most of my time learning it, installing the Adobe CS5 Master Collection and getting that setup to my needs, plus figuring out, since this is my first laptop, how best to get the video output to a larger monitor, and hook up my Wacom tablet and Bluetooth peripherals. This thing came with a dock which has dual Displayport and HDMI monitor outputs, dual USB 3.0 ports, eSata, and just so much heavy iron that I'm doing a lot of homework just figuring out how to best hook things up.

It has no problems with processing speed, I can tell you that, and has played back everything I've thrown at it - Quicktime, Flash, Windows Media, etc.. My desktop graphics/editing machine has less under the hood than this does, and I have had no problems with that system working in 1920 x 1080 on most of my projects, none of which go over about 5 or 6 minutes in runtime. I'll keep you posted when I do the 5.5 upgrade, and see if anything changes. This box is proving to be a tank!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]