ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lightsweep Reflection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shakib Al HasanLightsweep Reflection
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 9:37:43 am

Hey Guys,
First up thanks to all the guys who keep up putting so much info on the forum and the tuts. And to the guys who've asked the questions that ive needed the answers to every once in awhile.
Ive been trying to make something similar to this ABC news loop promo::

I have got everything working apart from the lightsweep reflection with depth.. Any insights on how to get achieve that?

Thanx

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lightsweep Reflection
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 5:51:10 pm

Youtube's uncharacteristically down, so here's a time-saving question to fill in: what applications do you have that can conceivably be used to make the effect?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shakib Al HasanRe: Lightsweep Reflection
by on Apr 21, 2011 at 7:21:27 pm

oh strange..
i have maya and ae
thanks for the reply

Return to posts index

by on Apr 23, 2011 at 7:14:24 pm

ideas any1???

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Lightsweep Reflection
by on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:00:11 pm

[Shakib Al Hasan] "I have got everything working apart from the lightsweep reflection with depth.. Any insights on how to get achieve that?"

That looks to me like a reflection in a true 3D environment. You'd get that behavior "for free" doing this in a real 3D app like Maya or C4D, but it'd take a lot of work in AE.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:34:49 pm

Thanks for the reply, Walter.
If i do that in maya then wouldnt i have to the entire project in maya? the rectangles turning and everything included? Getting the 3d renders to match with the AE camera angles n all..

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Lightsweep Reflection
by on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:57:10 pm

[Shakib Al Hasan] "If i do that in maya then wouldnt i have to the entire project in maya? the rectangles turning and everything included? Getting the 3d renders to match with the AE camera angles n all.."

Yup.

Thinking about it a little more, I suppose you might be able to do something tricky in AE by making the line a 3D solid, parenting a light to it, and letting it cast shadows onto the other AE geometry. Render with and without cast shadows, pull a difference matte, and use that to drive a glow. This just might be crazy enough to work...

Since the reference was news, it's possible that it was done on a real-time broadcast 3D graphics system.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Lightsweep Reflection
by on May 2, 2011 at 7:48:36 pm

How about the "scanner" plane of glass and the light, parented to a null in AE, the light effect would be a glow from an "unseen" light? The perception is that it is one plane of material moving thru the planes, but really it is one ttranslucent plane object and the Boolian intersection point on the surface, is just a line emitting a glow, tracking the same null object across?

This could also be a projected beam of light, parented to a common null, glancing off the material.

But I'm not an AE guy, just spitballing ideas here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]