ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion Tracking Software

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
Motion Tracking Software
on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:37:46 pm

Hey can anyone recommend good cheap 3d Motion tracking software, I mainly just wanna learn the ins and outs and see if its something Id be interested in before i spend 5,000$. Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Motion Tracking Software
on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:19:43 pm

SynthEyes is relatively cheap. Icarus is free. PfHoe and PfHoe pro are pretty cheap.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Victor Nguyen
on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:48:55 am

Michael, how's AE motion tracking compared to these software?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:23:19 pm

AE's tracking compares to the 3d trackers I mentioned in the same way a hammer compares to a screwdriver; they do very different things. Yes; hammers and screwdrivers both put small metal things into wood, but the kind of metal thing and the reason for use are different.

AE's tracker (and Mocha that comes bundled with it) are both 2d trackers that provide 2d data. The trackers I mentioned are 3d trackers that provide 3d camera data.

Like a hammer and a screwdriver they seem similar, but are very different.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michal Trzaska
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:05:56 pm

I would work with Icarus it will give you the foundation without the pressure to learn it all in a 30 day trial. After that I would do the trial versions of each available tracker see how it works, some you can rent for a month, but it's still a lot of money.

The good news is that all this will make you a better 2D tracker and you will find ways to accomplish what you need to using just mocha and some creativity.

Best of luck,

Michal Trzaska
Editor, Colorist, Director of Photography, VFX Artist and Motion Graphics Artist
MeHow Design
TV Commercials for your Google TV ads. Web Videos that get results

Return to posts index

Zach Shore
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:29:25 pm

Is Icarus still around? I thought it was discontinued or turned into PFTrack/PFHoe?

You can come push the buttons or you can let me do my job.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:18:30 pm

I don't think Icarus is still being developed (it was the precursor to PF), however it's still out there and it still works.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]