ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Exporting Lens Flare

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony CookExporting Lens Flare
by on Apr 12, 2011 at 6:07:44 pm

I'm trying to export a lower 9th quadrant logo overlay that remains throughout my project. I'm using a lens Flare effect behind the logo and when I export to a Lossless + Alpha .mov, the lens flare is not transparent, it's showing a black box overtop part of the video in final cut. I narrowed this black box down to the lens flare object. My blend mode on this track was Add, I've tried overlay and several others to no avail. When I designed it to start with, I imported a few movie clips and placed them at the very bottom in the motion project and it worked perfectly. But since my video is going to be 15 minutes or more, it will take forever exporting if I have to take the entire movie in and out of motion. any suggestions? I've also tried altering the exported graphic's compositing modes in final cut without luck.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Exporting Lens Flare
by on Apr 12, 2011 at 6:52:40 pm

Lens flares are normally used in conjunction with a blend more: Add, Overlay, Screen, etc. Thus, the layer has no transparency of its own. To get it, you'd need something like Knoll Unmult. Fortunately, I believe it's a free download from Red Giant Software.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anthony CookRe: Exporting Lens Flare
by on Apr 12, 2011 at 8:19:01 pm

Thanks Dave! Unfortunately for me, the free plug-in is for CS5 and Apple Motion costs $. Looks like I'll be waiting to add the graphics to my project after approval due to how long it will take and if there are revisions needed I would go insane importing/exporting the footage through Motion all again.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Exporting Lens Flare
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 1:09:03 am

[Anthony Cook] "Unfortunately for me, the free plug-in is for CS5 and Apple Motion costs $."

You can almost fake Unmult for free by using a duplicate of the lens flare as a luma matte for itself. You may need to tweak it a bit, or experiment using different color channels as the luma matte, to get better results.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Exporting Lens Flare
by on Apr 18, 2011 at 10:06:39 pm

You can change the blend mode to normal and then add a Luma Key filter, set key mode to "key out Darker" and it will get most of the black out.

Or you can take your project file and bring it straight into FCP, then add a Add Blend mode to your project file. Depending on what you have in your project file, the other elements will look just fine.

Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved