ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shooting a clear glass trophy on green screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nicastro
Shooting a clear glass trophy on green screen
on Mar 29, 2011 at 6:34:15 pm

I have a clear glass trophy with beveled edges. I need to use it in a spot and it has to be keyed out. I've shot it in many different angles in front of a green screen but can't get it clear enough. There is still some noise and artifacting within the trophy. Parts of it key out well, but other parts don't. When I'm adjusting the Keylight sliders in AE, it will start to remove that noise, but then I begin to loose the edges and the white engraving on the front of the trophy also starts to go away.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
Re: Shooting a clear glass trophy on green screen
on Mar 29, 2011 at 7:55:55 pm

Yeah, that's a challenge. I would either create it as a 3D model, or just shoot it over a simple white, navy or black background. If it's only a glass trophy it probably doesn't have a figure on it and should be pretty simple to model.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:49:18 pm

....and it also has to be in motion, right?

You won't hear me say this often: shoot this against a black background. In After Effects, mask around the trophy. Use a blend mode to incorporate it into the shot. It's worth a test. The problem: faking refraction caused by the glass. The problem compounds itself if the subject is in motion.

I'd favor the far easier solution: re-write the spot so you don't have to do something silly like key a glass object on a green screen. What special effects genius thought that one up, anyway?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
on Mar 30, 2011 at 3:13:47 pm

Well Dave the good part is the trophy is not in motion. I'll be moving the camera in AE to simulate motion, but it'll be a flat image of the trophy itself. I like the idea of shooting it on a black background and I have a feeling that will help it key a lot better.

Oh, and I'm the genius that thought up this promo spot, haha. I tend to tackle projects that are way beyond my skill level sometimes. But hey, that's what CreativeCOW is for! And it does help me learn better trying to figure things like this out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Hopefully later today I'll have some good news to report back.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 30, 2011 at 3:31:53 pm

One last thing before you shoot - when you shoot against black, make sure that you have some white reflective objects around the trophy (on the camera side) so that you're controlling your reflections, almost like a light tent. Two pieces of foam core on either side of the camera, within your angle of reflection should do the trick. Try different sizes of foam core - you don't want a reflection of you and the camera, needless to say.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 30, 2011 at 4:38:20 pm

Shooting glass looks very dull and flat unless you bring in a white board near the lens to generate some speculars.

There is also an old trick used when shooting bottles of wine or beer, to make them read better. I actually use it as well behind the lava lamp in my office. You cut a piece of white paper the shape of the bottle, but just a bit smaller all around, and adhere that to the back of the bottle. Shooting thru from the front, this makes the contents really pop.

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
on Mar 31, 2011 at 6:12:07 pm

Well I am happy to report that shooting the trophy against a solid black surface worked great! I used two small Lowel lights with soft umbrellas on either side of the trophy. When I brought it into AE, I drew a mask around it then I changed the blend mode to screen and the trophy became clear and the edges stayed sharp. The white lettering looks great and was perfectly legible. My video appeared behind it perfectly too.

Thank you guys for all your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 31, 2011 at 8:36:10 pm

Glad the suggestion worked!

Now for your next assignment: If this is a trophy made of planar surfaces, images placed behind it would be refracted. Can you fake that?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]