ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Deko vs Chyron vs Xpression Studio. Any other?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vassiliy ZolotukhinDeko vs Chyron vs Xpression Studio. Any other?
by on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:38:28 am

Our broadcasting company is looking for a new on-air graphics solution. It should be able to play short video clips, import Photoshop graphics and be easy to operate. These are the basic requirements, which are important for us at this time. In the future, we may want to use this system on a more advanced level, so the more features it has the better. Currently, our choice is limited to one of the three solutions: Avid Deko 3000, Chyron XyperX3 and Ross Video Xpression Studio. What are you opinions of each of them? Are there any other systems on the market that you could recommend?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Erik ElvgrenRe: Deko vs Chyron vs Xpression Studio. Any other?
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 6:20:35 pm

I have been researching this and have to go with the Xpression Studio. There is really no comparison if you are also getting a Ross switcher because of the great integration between CG and Switcher. So here are the 2 main reasons: 1) endless layering, 2) tight integration. Want the TD to be able to fly in graphics on and off the screen using macros? Xpression. Want the TD to change the score on the scorebug instead of a CG op? Xpression. Want to fly in a bug, then an animated lower third, populate it with data, then fly in a graphic, then transition all that off and fly in a different page with 2 other graphics on it all on a single channel of CG? Xpression and Ross switcher - either the Carbonite or Vision line can handle it. So on a single channel of CG you can fly in and out numerous (at least 99 I think) layers...all independently controlled. So you can bring them in and out in any order. That is serious power.
The only downside to that is there are not a whole lot of trained freelancers out there yet...but I think that will be changing really soon. I have 2 dekos and TD on trucks with Duets. I would choose the Xpression without a second thought. The Vizrt is another option but it is high dollar and steep learning curve...and still not as good as the Xpression. I am hoping we can buy 2 really soon. Lastly, make sure you get the Xpression Studio rather than the Expression "Live". The "Live" just pushes 2 channels (key and fill) to the switcher frame buffers on a carbonite. So you lose a lot of what makes the Xpression great.
I hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved