ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

resources to learn watercolor animation?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Smithresources to learn watercolor animation?
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 5:28:57 am

I've recently become interested in this and would like to learn more about how to do it. The things I have at hand are
1) an older version of AE (6.5) which I am just starting to learn
2) CS3
3) Older version of Final Cut Studio with Motion
4) actual watercolor =)

I'm interested in doing the watercolor effect - not just on video already shot, although that's one possibility, but with drawings that morph and change, etc. Or perhaps a combination.
I am also very interested in how to do the 3d effect you sometimes see in montages, not only with watercolor, but with video as well.
I'm not in a position right now to spend any money on software, plug-ins, etc.
Can anyone suggest a starting point, an approach, a process, resources to check out, etc? I can visualize projects, but don't know how to get from here to there.
Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: resources to learn watercolor animation?
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 5:45:54 pm

Can you post a link to a reference video showing the effect you're looking to achieve?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kell SmithRe: resources to learn watercolor animation?
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 6:34:45 pm

Oops - looks like I can't post the link here.
I"ll try to find another example and post it.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: resources to learn watercolor animation?
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 7:43:27 pm

Take a look at a painting program called Synthetik StudioArtist. This may have some of what you want. You can free draw and paint with various watercolor effects, or apply the effects to existing frames, movies, and stills, either via automation or interactively as you brush to apply the effects with more control. My verision is pretty old now, but still kicks butt: the newest version must be incredible by comparison.

Oh, once you have the demo loaded, be sure you don't have to be anywhere for the next ten hours because you'll easily spend that much time noodling around having fun, not noticing the time passing.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: resources to learn watercolor animation?
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:04:25 pm

Although you mention not wanting to spend any money, you did mention turning live video into water color.

Red Giant Software has an effect called Toonit.

Look at the examples page, last one is water color. You can tweak many settings. You can even get a trial version that may allow you to complete your project.

Without such a thing, turning live action into watercolor is going to be challenging. You have to turn realistic shading into flat, cel shading. You may also need edge drawing if you want that look. Either one requires some advanced programmatic edge detection.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved