ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Maya and Cinema 4D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Nick LyonsMaya and Cinema 4D
by on Feb 4, 2011 at 3:48:00 pm

Currently in art school and have the option to take Maya or C4D next quarter.

I've spoken with a professor who just left the industry (experience at superfad, brand new school, DK, Mill) and he said C4D is good, but if I seriously want to get into 3D and make myself the most marketable to learn Maya. So I'm thinking of taking Maya.

I know the basics of C4d and the mograph tools, but I want to open up the most doors, and for now, C4D seems to be regarded as a designer tool and not a serious animation suite.

Can anyone that has experience working in mograph studios give me their take on this? I've already begun training with lynda for Maya, so I'm basically looking for any reasons not to learn maya.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Maya and Cinema 4D
by on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:29:43 pm

Figure out what you want to do, then use the tool that people who are doing that use. Don't learn maya if you want to do motion graphics for corporate work. Learn maya if you want to do intense character animation for film. Want to do video games? Real time graphics? Film? Motion Graphics? Visual Effects? Character design? Modeling? Rigging? Animation? Scenic design?

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Liani BayatyanRe: Maya and Cinema 4D
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 9:28:01 am

Maya is more powerful tool, I think if you will invest some time on learning 3D just learn Maya, but probably you cant learn it really well in one term, maybe need at least two years to learn it, I think u can learn cinema easier, but I was almost in the same situation and I decided to learn Maya, now I fill even if I want to do more design than other things it's still very helpful to be Maya generalist .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved