ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Erasing as you go? Map line graphic

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler BrainErasing as you go? Map line graphic
by on Jan 6, 2011 at 9:56:01 pm

Hello all,

New here, and fairly new to Motion 4. I use it sparingly for basic text and intro/outro animations for hd video.

I'm working on something a bit more complex at the moment, following three different kinds of transportation as they make their way into the city... I have a visual icon for each (bike, car etc.) which I have animated along their respective paths using the Motion Path behavior.

What I'd like to do is have the path disappear behind the icon as it moves. You can see the blue car icon in this screenshot is halfway along the path... I'd like to have everything erased behind it up to that point. I can't seem to find a behavior that will do this - suggestions?

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Erasing as you go? Map line graphic
by on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:56:23 pm

If your line was created in Motion with the Bezier or B-Spline tool just add a write on behavior. If not, I cover how to do a write on - write off effect for elements created out side of Motion in my Apple Motion Training DVD. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Andrey IvanoffRe: Erasing as you go? Map line graphic
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 7:44:30 am

I suppose it will be a good solution to add a rectangular exclusion mask to the line and animate its' path the same way you did for automobile sign.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Erasing as you go? Map line graphic
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 9:16:35 pm

Try this instead:
Trace the roads on the map using Motion's paint stroke or bezier path tools.
Under the SHAPE tab of your stroke, pick the STYLE tab. Find the slider for last point offset. You can keyframe that, saving a lot of animated masking.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved